Join our zoo community

Commercial Octopus farm

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by vogelcommando, 9 May 2022.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After a lot of research and breeding Octopus already into the 5th generation now plans have been made to open a commercial Octopus farm on Gran Canaria / Spain :

A visit to the octopus farming pioneers

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unpleasant concept

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

But a concept from which zoos / public aquariums maybe can learn at least how to breed them ( ? )

4. splendens

splendens Well-Known Member

Well some species of octopus are bred already I believe at monterey and probably other aquariums. I know for sure that big fin reef squid, bobtail squid, flamboyant cuttlefish, stumpy cuttlefish, for sure have been bred and reared to adulthood. Chambered nautilus laid eggs which hatched but unsure if the babies survived and flapjack octopus laid eggs which did not hatch I believe.

iluvwhales likes this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Octopus is becoming more popular as a food, I'd rather that industry at least be able to captively breed them than keep taking wild ones :(

AGA, Fresco3, ifesbob and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

That's an interesting thought, farmed octopus for the plate verses wild octopus. I don't think you could takeaway the market demand of the wild ones amongst people. However, if it proves successful, relatively easy and most important cost effective then why not in time. We farm many species of fish, which in my opinion are no where near as tasty as the wild equivalents, but they are popular so it works. Why not the octopus?

Incidentally, I eat meat and I very much enjoy it, but I will no longer eat octopus or frogs as they are just too 'nice' for me.

ifesbob likes this.