Join our zoo community

Common Hippo enclosure desgin

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Keatycat, 9 Jun 2022.

1. Keatycat

Keatycat Member

Hi all! I'm a study captive animals tafe student doing an assignment on enclosure design and was wondering if anyone new the dimensions of the "Common" hippo enclosures at Taronga Western plains? I've tried contacting them directly with no avail, so it would be heaps of help if anyone had any information.
    Thank you!

Abbey likes this.
  2. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

Hi @Keatycat! Nice to meet you!

Here is a hippo husbandry guide which is available online, which was prepared in 2008 by another student: https://aszk.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Mammals.-Common-Hippo-2009RJ.pdf. Perhaps it might be helpful in giving you a framework and a springboard for further research (as well as being a very interesting read!).

All the best with your studies - a family member of mine is studying a similar course. Your assignment sounds very interesting!

Patrick Keegan, Keatycat and Zoofan15 like this.
  3. Keatycat

Keatycat Member

Thank you so much @Abbey ! It’s great fun, great entry way into what I want to do. Just trying to find some relevant info on standards for the hippo, based in Australia. It’s proving to be slightly difficult, But a challenge is always good. Plus I don’t know too much on the hippo and absolutely adore the ones at Dubbo so it’s not too bad. thanks again for the link I’ll definitely have a good read!

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Keatycat likes this.
  5. Keatycat

Keatycat Member

Oh wow! Thanks for the tip @lintworm . That will definitely be useful and for in the future! i have to do 3 different enclosures for this assignment and in a few months i have breeding a reproduction assignment, where i Will need to do another design for a holding den ect, so that will be good. Thanks for the Help!

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you plan on visiting Dubbo? If so, it would be great if you could find out more about the history of Dubbo's hippos if you have the time, and also future breeding plans. Only if you have the time though, outside of your assignments, it's okay if you can't.:)

Keatycat likes this.
  7. Keatycat

Keatycat Member

I totally wish @Jambo . I re-visited Dubbo zoo this time last year, i hadn't been since i was a kid. it was so amazing I've been to quite a few zoo's and those over seas and its got to be one of my favorites. its a shame i live so far away from there so i an just take a quick weekend away before its due. I wish i knew about this assignment back then but i was doing the Companion animal side of my studies, so all my studies wasn't focused on this side. the Hippos where definitely my fav's there, I'm hoping to go back later in the year. it would be so great to talk about there breeding program there with cuddles, she is adorable.

Jambo likes this.