Join our zoo community

Georgia Aquarium Concerns About Belugas at the Georgia Aquarium

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 15 Jan 2020.

1. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The aquarium has recently announced that one of their belugas, Whisper, is expecting a calf later this year. While a lot of people are excited by this news, I'm a little concerned. For those who aren't familiar with this aquarium's history with the species, all 3 beluga calves that were born at this facility never made it past infancy, with the most recent one being stillborn. While I don't want to assign blame on the aquarium, its past with beluga calves just leaves me worried about this most recent pregnancy. Am I the only one who feels this way? Let me know what you think in the comments, please.

2. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

@SharkFinatic, I had the same worries when I learned the news of Whisper's pregnancy. Since all three beluga calves born at the facility either died days after birth or were born stillborn, I was concerned about whether the most recent pregnancy would have a successful outcome. However, I'm optimistic. Georgia Aquarium has an exceptional team of aquarists, marine biologists, and veterinarians whose extensive experience and knowledge of beluga reproduction will greatly increase the chances of Whisper having a viable calf.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  3. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think facilities learn with each calf born. Shedd did not have great success when they started their breeding program, but now have had much success. Also, first calves seem to have lower survival rates (Maris and Qinu both lost first calves at Georgia Aquarium). Whisper has not had success yet with a calf, so I am cautiously optimistic. I believe this will be her fourth calf (2 previous pregnancies at SWT and 1 at SWF). I hope this is the success that Whisper and Georgia Aquarium need for the sustainability of belugas in the US.