Join our zoo community

conditioning primates

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by zoo newbie, 27 Apr 2006.

1. zoo newbie

zoo newbie New Member

Hi to all.
    I am new to this site and was wondering if there was anyone out there that has had experience in conditiong and training Cotton Top Tamarins and if there are, are you able to share your experiences????

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Hi Welcome to Zoobeat Zoo Newbie, Australia zoo now has three Cotton top Tamarins they might be able to help you.

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

This is i know about training tamarins, (although i have never done it i know a bit from talking to people).

Free Ranging Tamarins

Tamarins liek to sleep in a box, so get a box big enough for a family, place his box in an EMPTY aviary or enclosure that can be removed, start the tamarins in the aviary with a familiar box or something they have been sleeping in, they will more than likely move to the more comfortable box, if this has not been achieved with in a feew weeks remove the old box for longer perieds of time, like all day, then only at night, then one day in one out, etc...

after they are used to this box for say 2 weeks of only the new box, the door to the Cage can be opened, and they can be supervised otuside, for say 1 hours, with longer periods of time over a few days. Until eventually they are out all day SUPERVISED, after about 3-4 days fully supervised, they can be left alone for say 1 hour, with time slowly increasing. Insure they are LOCKED away every night in the cage surrounding teh box. after a few sucessful weeks (2-3) the door can be left open to the cage (optional). If this is sucessful the cage may be removed all together, or left there and they can be locked away at night for security, and easy capture in the morning for health checks.

Thats all from me i hope its helpful