Join our zoo community

Conservation Dissertation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Prinben, 28 Sep 2016.

1. Prinben

Prinben New Member

Hi all,

This is my first thread so I do apologize in advance for any errors etc that may occur.

I am currently studying Bsc (Hons) Animal Behavior and Welfare and I am trying to come up with a dissertation topic. I am big on conservation and more specifically sea turtles. However the majority of things I think off are interesting however not feasible.

Any help from postgraduates, or anyone will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
    :D

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member

Hello Prinben

I think a feasible topic would be the role of zoos in conserving endangered animals.

1. What is the percentage of endangered/critically endangered animal species compared to total number of species per zoo?
    2. How much work is done by each zoo to save endangered animals in the wild?
    3.How many endangered/critically endangered animals have been reintroduced to the wild and how successful were the animals at adapting to the wild?
    4. How many endangered/critically endangered animal species are kept at each zoo with no intention of reintroducing any to the wild?
    5. How many zoos co-operate to breed endangered/critically endangered species by transferring animals between collections?

You can probably think of extra questions and you could also look at what anti-zoo organisations say about zoo conservation work and whether this is true or not.