Join our zoo community

Conservation Efforts Within Zoo Grounds

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Buldeo, 23 Apr 2019.

1. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I've looked for an old thread, but didn't see one. I may have weak search-fu to go along with my meandering chi, though. Feel free to append this to another thread if one exists.

Given the business realities associated with zoos is there a hard, practical limit to what zoos can do within their own grounds re: conservation? For example, plastic & plastic consumption is the current bete noir; an unfortunate reality, but will the average zoo attendee go along with... the anti-plastic program if only on zoo grounds? Or do cultural/social considerations get the way?

A few recent-ish observations:

Paris Zoo

I believe the gift shop gave you the option of buying a paper bag to carry any souvenirs, but the thing that stuck out: soda and water were sold in plastic bottles. By itself not great, but you were given a plastic cup to pour your beverage into as well. Recycling was offered, but double the plastic seems highly unnecessary.

Denver Zoo

Most food options were served on paper-like materials, but plastic was used a fair amount. However, it was mostly, if not all, compostable and each dining facility had compostable and recycling stations. Gift shops are plastic bag free. Bathrooms still offer paper towels and hand dryers, but, the main bathroom at least, had a sign posted about the pros & cons of each.

San Diego Zoo & Wild Animal Park

The Wild Animal Park has come along way in becoming visitor friendly, but might be limited to how friendly it can be due to the geography of San Pasqual Valley. It's still going to be hot. Water fountains are still around, but I did not notice any of the trendy water refill stations. As such, almost everything is sold in plastic bottles. Both parks do a brisk business in beer as well. It's all sold in plastic cups unless you opt for the souvenir beer that's sold in hard reusable plastic. I didn't do a count, but recycling bins seem to be few and far between. Both parks sold reusable water bottles, but didn't go out of their way in promoting them.

Gift shops are plastic bag free, but staff gave away paper bags as souvenirs.

Singapore Zoo

Asia as a whole has a problem with plastic. If something isn't shrink wrapped, it's encased in single serving plastic. I asked for a knife (in a dine-in facility) and they not only gave me a plastic knife, but wrapped it before handing it to me. Despite that, Singapore Zoo might be putting the best foot forward of the zoos I've visited recently.

The open air bathrooms allow in nature and natural light cutting down on energy consumption. Plastic straws are nowhere to found, and you can only purchase a woven bag for your souvenirs. It's a bit small for practical use after the fact, but it's a nice touch. WRS also promotes refillable water bottles with a large sign and setup right at the entrance of most of the parks. The refillable stations are stationed throughout the park and the bottle itself is only S$5. It's hard plastic but it's a definite step in the right direction.

Dishes are reusable and washable and trays are collected in a central hub with recycling and trash bins in the same area.

Unfortunately nothing stands out about San Francisco and St. Louis. They aren't doing anything exceptionally noticeable or anything worse than anybody else. But that's the question: Have zoos reached a natural limit to what they can do on zoo grounds?

Feel free to chime in with any observations you've had at your local zoo and if they can do anything to improve. My first thought was zoos can team up with, say, Kleen Kanteen and produce reusable metal water bottles. All zoo members get one with their membership, and they can be promoted within the park.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is debate as to whether compostable plastic is actually any better for the environment.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It depends, there are multiple types of compostable plastics, the ones that degrade into tiny fragments are worse, but there are plant-based alternatives that aren't even plastic but are much better for the environment.

birdsandbats likes this.