Join our zoo community

Zoo København Contemporary Architecture in Copenhagen Zoo

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Toddy, 31 Dec 2010.

1. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member

nice post with Archtecture in copenhagen zoo
    I am very interested in this topic and new artic ring will be nice as well
    flamingo plant ready in June 2011. on frotiden as I graduate on Copenhagen Zoo's history
    has maps from 1894 - 1940 and maps from 2000-2011 if you have questions about this subject so
    we can discuss and I also questions about the years between 1950-2000 on the animal and maps of copenhagen zoo
    thanks my friends

2. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Copenhagen Zoo - Master Plan

Just in case anybody is interested I have managed to steal a look at what will be the next few steps in the new master plan for Copenhagen Zoo that is currently being developed. I have edited a zoo map so you can see where the next few new exhibits will be. There is no set time frame nor even order of business for these except that the brown bears and wolves will probably be the first ones to get their new exhibits.

[​IMG]

3. zoo chp89

Thank you for your new map for the zoo 2020 zoo my friend!
    I have thought of the old perspective plan of 1999 on the zoo in 2010 that was replaced by the zoo in 2020 as I have at home that this plant would come up. I think that already in 2014 so new brown bear and wolf facility ready and later after the capital so do you do if only to lions in the south the land around 2017 and after the Penguins and sea lions in 2019 and eventually gibbon, orangutan and tapir 2020th Here I have a question also on this site! Chimpanzees will be left when this is completed in about 2020 and what about the deer, pigs, it was in the old plan that would merge with tapirs?
    thanks in advance

4. zoo chp89

hey!
    oh now looked at the map to a new facility with the chimpanzee is the sodermarken! but what happens to deer wine and one more thing with the snow leopard in the perspective plan 2020?
    thanks my friends

5. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

You can just forget about the years of completion for these projects as no one knows and it is impossible to tell the future. The Arctic Ring wasn't even supposed to be completed this fast but the zoo received a huge donation for it from Mærsk. In the masterplan from 1999 the polar bear exhibit was supposed to be finished in 2003 and a new exhibit for chimpanzees in 2004. And look how that went.

Exactly which deer and pig species are you talking about here? Something for the Asian section?

Once again I am unsure about which deer you are referring to? However, the snow leopards have been scrapped from the plans. The zoo wants to focus on amur leopards instead.

6. zoo chp89

hello my zoo friends!
    today so I new flamingo plant was completed and the island of squirrel monkeys like Pippi Longstocking monkey in fairy tales. Now, today, is the roadblock away from the island and the lake and the flamingos! Has the way, now the vultures have moved into the new facility when the ibises were!
    someone who can put images on the new flamingo aviary?
    Have a good time

7. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The new Flamingo Aviary and squirrel monkey island/house opened yesterday on June 21st. I went a saw it myself today. The final species list for the aviary is Caribbean flamingos, scarlet ibis, roseate spoonbill and black-necked stilts. The aviary is pretty good but it will hopefully look much better next year when the vegetation has grown in. The squirrel monkeys are still not using there outdoor island but will hopefully soon.

I went today and took some pictures but I don't know when I will get around to post some.

8. zoo chp89

hello again!
    nicely with the new facility but it was in the winter the house where the flamingos to be in winter, and they change the the birds and pelicans?
    Have old ibis aviary opened today with the new birds, or open it in July?
    will soon to the zoo ..... next week to check on the

9. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I am afraid that I don't understand what you mean?

The old Ibis Aviary is currently being worked on by gardeners and maintenance staff to make it ready for the turkey vultures. A lot of the vegetation has been cut down today.

10. zoo chp89

thanks for the reply zoo friend!
    I mean the first question if you can go into the new flamingo plant winter house then the house where flamingos and pelicans living in the zoo?
    looked at home on the summer program that birds move into the old ibis facility July 9!

11. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Flamingo Aviary

Opening date: June 2011
    Total cost: 35.000.000 kr. = 4.700.000 € / 4.200.000 £ / 6.760.000 $
    Size
    • Area size: 1.500 square meters
    • Height: 14-16 meters
    • Water: 50 cubic meters (cleaned every three hours)
    House
    • Lower floor: 120 square meters
    • Upper floor: 120 square meters
    • Flamingo greenhouse: 130 square meters
    Species
    • Caribbean flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber)
    • Scarlet ibis (Eudocimus ruber)
    • Roseate spoonbill (Ajaia ajaja)
    • Black-necked stilt (Himantopus mexicanus)
    • Chiloe wigeon (Anas sibilatrix)
    • Red-shouldered teal (Callonetta leucophrys)
    • Orinoco goose (Neochen jubata)

[​IMG]
    The aviary as seen from outside

In 2011 Copenhagen opened their new "opening exhibit", e.g. the first exhibit that visitors see in the zoo. The "Flamingo Aviary" or "Giant Aviary" is a South American theme with birds from the South American wetlands. The main attractions are the Caribbean flamingoes and the main reason for building the aviary was that the zoo no longer needs to clip the wings on its flamingos. The netting is woven very fine and hardly noticeable from inside the aviary.

[​IMG]
    First look inside the aviary. Notice the open side on the greenhouse for the flamingos

The aviary is a walkthrough aviary where visitors view the birds from a wooden boardwalk. The birds have their indoor quarters in newly constructed buildings along the back of the aviary. Visitors are not be able to enter the new house but when The Arctic Ring is finished it will be possible to look inside the house from behind. The house is divided into three sections: Upper floor, lower floor and flamingo house. The upper floors contain inside aviaries for scarlet ibis and roseate spoonbill while the lower floors are used for the ground-dwelling birds.
    The flamingo part is a greenhouse that can be opened on its southern side allowing the flamingos to access to the aviary for a longer part of the year (earlier in spring and later in autumn) and hopefully will inspire them to breed earlier in March/April when the spring sun heats up the greenhouse.

[​IMG]
    The main lake for the flamingos and other birds. The birds can also access a small part of the Bird Lake in the background.

The Flamingo Aviary continues the architectural tradition in Copenhagen Zoo that the now former director Lars Lunding Andersen started. His last day on the job was the day the Flamingo Aviary opened.

[​IMG]
    A view across the aviary from the far side.​

12. KimDaniel

KimDaniel Member

The new aviary looks great! I think I have to take me a trip later this summer to take a look. Thank you Toddy for your hard work and good analysis!

13. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow, I just re-read this thread. Amazing work, Toddy, thank you very much. It's pretty impressive to see contemporary architecture utilized in zoos in a way that seems to expertly satisfy the needs of its occupants.

14. zoo chp89

hi zoovänner! what is the future of the zoo copenhagen with architect-cut? what is the zoo for future prohekt? Now is the artic ring then? thanks for your nice pictures toddy!

15. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The next project is currently not decided but it will probably be a renovation of the brown bear/wolf exhibits. Once again I will refer to the map I have posted on the previous page. No further news have been disclosed so far.

16. Limpan

Limpan Member

Thx for creating this wonderfull thread about contemporary arcitecture in copenhagen. I simply love this style of zoo architecture and i think that it is something that more city-zoos should consider.

I gues there will be a post about the arctic ring when it opens ;)

17. zoo chp89

the new wolf and brown bear exibith

:)
    hello the new exibith are finiched but have you see more so post more pictures and if you have news about new exibth in copenagen zoo

Attached Files: