Join our zoo community

Open Conversations/Private Messages problem

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Pertinax, 26 Apr 2017.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My own typed private messages/conversations have stopped showing although the recipient still appears to be receiving them and I can read the answer okay. Do I need to delete a whole lot or something, and how can I do that? or is there some other reason for this suddenly happening now?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

3. Pertinax

No, its not that. When I type a message in a conversation, and use a quote from the respondent's previous reply, and then post it, only the quote shows, but not the message I have just typed. But the recipient still gets it. As a test I sent one without a quote. That one shows normally for me.

The recipient is having some problem with responding too.

This only started about 48 hours ago.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mine are still working fine.

5. Pertinax

I've just stopped trying to use quotes. There is no problem then.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Hi Pertinax, I've been able to locate the examples where this is an issue for you by looking directly in the database - but I can't reproduce this behaviour myself.

Basically what you're ending up with is a quote within a quote.

So you quote someone else's message and both the quote and your reply get wrapped inside another quote, so it gets hidden in the "quote" box (it is actually there) rather than displayed normally.

I'm wondering if you're clicking the "quote" button in the toolbar to add those quotes? You shouldn't need to do that - just hitting "Reply" on the message you want to quote will insert the quotes automatically.

Only use the "quote" button when you're quoting some external source rather than a participant in the conversation.
    upload_2017-5-2_13-14-12.png

... do don't use the Quote menu option in the screenshot above for when replying to someone in your conversation.

Also, if you're typing out a reply, make sure you start typing it after the [/QUOTE] at the end of the part you're quoting.

upload_2017-5-2_13-16-9.png

I hope this helps.