Join our zoo community

Cooking thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by tschandler71, 17 Apr 2013.

1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's my showcase :)

DSCN5059 (2).JPG
    Pandan Macaron
    DSCN5071 (2).JPG
    Lime Macaron
    DSCN5146 (2).JPG
    Mango Macaron
    DSCN5157 (2).JPG
    Blackberry Macaron
    DSCN5178 (2).JPG
    Vietnamese Iced Coffee Macaron
    DSCN5235 (2).JPG
    Salted Caramel Macaron
    DSCN5265 (2).JPG
    Raspberry Macaron

Crowthorne and Jungle Man like this.
  2. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

ZooBinh likes this.
  3. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Though typically I am not a macaroon guy, with the exception of coconut macaroons, your macaroons do look enticing. Creative flavors, especially the Vietnamese iced coffee one. That's a first...

I think the nickname given to you by @TeaLovingDave is appropriate. How and where did you learn to bake like this?

ZooBinh likes this.
  4. ZooBinh

Thank you so much! The coconut macaroons you mention are actually a traditional Jewish cookie made out of coconut flakes, whilst the macaron is a French cookie (with traces to Italian origin) made from almond paste and egg whites, and filled with anything really, with flavors accordingly made so (which is what I made).

I apologize if I was mistaken and you meant coconut flavored macarons.
    Yes, I did want to get creative with the flavors! I really used whatever I had lying around, and that resulted in more traditional flavors (raspberry and lime), some normal though not traditional flavors (mango, blackberry, and salted caramel), and some creative ones (Vietnamese iced coffee and pandan). The latter two come from childhood foods and flavors that I have experienced, as pandan and Vietnamese coffee definitely do trace back to Vietnam (where I am from). The Vietnamese iced coffee is different from other coffees though, with the inclusion of a more robust bean kind of bean used in Vietnam (I didn't have the specific bean, but I used a robust tasting instant coffee to make do for that), and with sweetened condensed milk, which I "injected" into the filling (the buttercream) after I piped it onto the shells.
    Ah yes, haha. @TeaLovingDave gave it to me because I shared quite a bit of my ventures on the discord chatroom. I started to bake and had the interest in culinary arts around January 2017, and have refined and expanded my skills since then. Macarons, specifically, I first attempted in July 2018 using the French meringue method, which resulted terribly. I got scared after that attempt but I tried again in July of 2019, using the Italian meringue method (which created for a more sturdy meringue to fold into the almond paste), and that turned out well on the first try (second if you include 2018) though with the shape and texture a bit off. Since then, I've just been improving my skills.

amur leopard likes this.
  5. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

As a question what are 8 really easy to make recipes for food that don't take much time?

6. ZooBinh

Well what kind of food do you like? :)

7. WalkingAgnatha

Don't really have a preference I just need a few recipes for a homework assignment

8. ZooBinh

Well, you obviously couldn't make macarons hehehe, that's a whole situation :p

For savory dishes:

You could sautee or stirfry vegetables, which is pretty delicious. Pasta is also a quick way to do things as well. I have a recipe (or guide, I don't measure for it) for mapu tofu, which is a Chinese dish. I also have this ginger-scallion lobster dish, so whilst really fancy, it is pretty quick though. Probably not the best option as it can be very pricey to buy lobster.

For sweet dishes:

All I can think of right now is probably brownies or maybe really simple chocolate chip cookies, which is all I can think of at the moment.

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  9. WalkingAgnatha

ty so much

ZooBinh likes this.
  10. UngulateNerd92

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Yes I did mean the Jewish coconut macaroons, though macaroons and coconut macaroons are quite different, the fact that they have the same name adds to the confusion here... Now you put me in the mood for coconut macaroons.

@ZooBinh I just had an idea, tell me what you think of this? After this pandemic is over, you should have a bake sale and donate a portion of or perhaps all of the proceeds to the conservation of a specific endangered or threatened species (pick your favorite) as a way to raise awareness for that taxon.

ZooBinh likes this.
  11. ZooBinh

Actually, the names are different. The French one is the macaron, pronounced.like in this video.

The Jewish macaroon is pronounced with the "oo" sound.

I've thought about that, but food safety laws have scared me from looking into selling the cookies.

12. UngulateNerd92

My bad. The subtlety in the spelling difference is easy to miss. About your local food regulations, try contacting your city hall or county health department and ask them about it.

ZooBinh likes this.
  13. ZooBinh

Yea, I'll have to ask them about it.

14. UngulateNerd92

Ok, let us know how it goes when you do.

ZooBinh likes this.
  15. UngulateNerd92

It is interesting to see that the Ohio DNR (Department of Natural Resources) has cooking videos on their YouTube channel involving the use of native plants and game.

ZooBinh likes this.
  16. UngulateNerd92

Here is a meal that I just made.

Babaganoush and Hummus imoorted from Syria mixed with Palestinian olive oil, Iraqi beef and lamb kebabs with Afghani saffron rice, Greek pita bread and yogurt dip with diced Persian cucumbers, mint, basil, granulated onions, garlic, black pepper, terragon, basil, and ground rose bud flower. I am greatful to have several Middle Eastern and North African markets/grocers here in Tucson.

Next meal on the agenda is halal burgers with Bulgarian kashkaval cheese and maybe turnip fries.

Attached Files:

Jungle Man and ZooBinh like this.
  17. UngulateNerd92

Here is a photo of the French bread pizza I was referring to in another post in this thread.

Attached Files:

18. UngulateNerd92

Here is a snack that I have been making and enjoying quite a lot lately. Canned tuna fish in olive oil mixed with mayonaise and sliced kalamata olives on top of sliced San Francisco style sourdough bread with two slices of kosher sharp cheddar cheese. The canned tuna was prepared and packaged in Turkey. When I buy canned tuna, I NEVER buy it in water. Water dilutes the flavor and olive oil enhances it.

Attached Files:

19. ZooBinh

A very true statement, good sir.

20. UngulateNerd92

Thank you. People that say they don't like tuna fish, they probably only have experience with canned tuna in water. If they try canned tuna in olive oil, they will charge their mind. Just my opinion.

ZooBinh likes this.