Join our zoo community

Cooking thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by tschandler71, 17 Apr 2013.

1. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Here is yet another meal I made yesterday. Penne pasta with white cheddar kale pesto and boneless skinless chicken thighs cooked in garlic butter. To be honest, the sauce came in a jar, but it all still turned out well. The glass bowl that is pasta is in was actually my parents wedding gift.

Attached Files:

Jungle Man likes this.
  2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, any fish preserved in oil tastes better.

3. ZooBinh

Some cakes I made weeks ago. I really regret piping whipped cream, but I was really bored :p DSCN5313.JPG DSCN5314.JPG

Jungle Man likes this.
  4. ZooBinh

Something I made a few weeks ago, a lot of anxiety with this one :p Could be the most anxious venture, but then I remember the glazed cakes hehehe.

Attached Files:

Jungle Man likes this.
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I feel it may have been easier if you'd made it vertically instead of horizontally.

ZooBinh likes this.
  6. ZooBinh

Yes sorry, the gravity machine was acting up. Well, not up, more of acting to the side.

7. UngulateNerd92

Here is a halal chicken shawarma I just made on greek pita bread with garlic sauce and pickles imported from Syria.

Attached Files:

Jungle Man and ZooBinh like this.
  8. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I have several recipes/finished meals below to please most people around the world. To remind those who have forgot and to introduce those who are willing to explore culinary delight. Apologies in advance to our Muslim readers this one is not for you and there is no substitute I know of but if any knows I too and willing to try :).

Spam & chips
    Spam & Eggs
    Spam, chips & eggs
    Double Spam & chips
    Spam, chips, eggs & beans
    Spam, lettuce & salad cream sandwiches
    Fried spam & ketchup toasties
    Spam in the hole
    Spam Vindaloo- (work in progress)

enjoy.

ZooBinh likes this.
  9. UngulateNerd92

It is nice to also see that the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife has cooking videos on their YouTube channel.

Here is this one on how to make a salmon ceasar salad. Salmon ceasar salad was one of my favorite menu items at a restaurant in my hometown. Sorry to digress but other things I liked there included their beef dip sandwich which was sliced prime rib on french bread with sharp yellow cheddar cheese that I would dip in their au jus sauce and their horseradish sauce with a side of french fries. I also liked their fried chicken tenders with jalepeno ranch dressing and their chorizo fries, especially during Happy Hour. The restaurant was called The Maze Stone Grill & Lounge in San Jacinto, Riverside County, California. Here is the salmon ceasar salad video from the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife.

How to prepare a salmon

Baked salmon tacos with mango salsa

Salmon ceviche

ZooBinh and Jungle Man like this.
  10. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

The first recipe of mine:

Chicken Breast with Mushroom Sauce.

If you want the recipe, pm me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 25 Jun 2020
  11. UngulateNerd92

Here is another meal I just made.

Halal beef burgers with arabic style semisoft cheese on brioche buns.

I plan to spread garlic sauce on the buns, similar to the sauce I use when I make shawarmas.

Attached Files:

ZooBinh likes this.
  12. ZooBinh

Some lemon cream fettucine I made last week, made my own pasta noodles because I had egg yolks leftover from macarons.

DSCN5373.JPG Pasta Pasta :p DSCN5375.JPG
    Sauce base, before I added the cream (butter, lemon, chilli flakes, garlic) DSCN5376.JPG DSCN5376.JPG Finished product :)

Jungle Man likes this.
  13. UngulateNerd92

Ok, so another thing I forgot to mention for the ground bison spaghetti squash recipe is that i typically add carmelized diced onions to the mix, which I cook/carmalize in a separate pan in butter. Once my onions are finished, I add them to my ground bison tomato basil marinara sauce.

About the french bread pizza, if I were to add the ground Italian sausage and sliced black olives, in order to make room for my sausage and olives, for each pepperoni slice, I would have to slice down the middle two times in separate directions giving my pepperoni slices a triangular shape if you will. Another recipe I want to try making is chicken pesto french bread pizza. When I make these french bread pizzas, I will let you all know on this thread.

14. UngulateNerd92

It is nice to see the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission have cooking videos on their YouTube channel as well.

Deer Pinwheels

Smoked Deer Ham

Corned Goose Reubens

Jungle Man and ZooBinh like this.
  15. UngulateNerd92

Here are some cooking and food preparation videos from the Alaska Department of Fish & Game.

How to Can Salmon

Two different ways to filet a salmon

How to Make Fish Stock (Broth)

Smoking, Canning, and Pickling Fish

16. UngulateNerd92

Texas Parks & Wildlife has some great cooking videos on their YouTube channel as well!

Crappie cooking

Redfish fried 3 ways

Grilled Venison

Teal Yakitori

Feral hogs tacos

Buffalo dove breasts

Alligator ancho chili rellano

How to filet and freeze a fish

Introduction to Dutch oven cooking

Basic meals using a Dutch oven

Gourmet meals using a Dutch oven

Last edited: 28 Aug 2020
  17. UngulateNerd92

Regarding my cooking, I can't believe I didn't share my favorite recipe yet. My favorite thing to cook is crab cakes. I get canned crab meat and it has to be real crab and not imitation crab. I put the crab meat in a mixing bowl and mix it with real mayonnaise, dijon mustard, sour cream, and raw eggs. I use eggs instead of bread crumbs to hold it together as bread crumbs overpower the flavor and texture of the crab whereas eggs compliment/flow with it. I scoop the crab base if you will out of the bowl and cook it in a frying pan in either regular butter or ghee and cook them in the same manner you would pancakes. The sauce base using sour cream, dijon mustard, and real mayonnaise I make a side mix separately and use it as dipping sauce for the crab cakes. The two main sides I would have with that meal are french green beans cooked in salt, black pepper, and butter alongside roasted fingerling potatoes with butter, salt, and black pepper. When my mom cooked fingerling potatoes, she used to like to turn them into mini loaded baked potatoes using not just the butter, salt, and pepper but also cheddar shredded cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits. Not sure how she fit all that into individual fingerling potatoes, but they turned out well.

The sauce base for the crab cakes, I also like to use for chicken dijon. For the chicken dijon, I like to use boneless skinless thighs that I cut into either strips or medallions, the latter works better in my opinion. I cook the pieces of chicken in a frying pan in butter, salt, and black pepper cooking each piece of chicken on each side for 7 minutes. After my chicken is finished, I pour the dijon sauce base if you will into the frying pan and stir it around and then let it simmer for a while. The sides I serve the chicken dijon with are either fingerling potatoes or mashed red potatoes with the skin in, and french green beans the way I described them above.

Another thing I enjoy making is lamb tostadas. I cook ground lamb in salt, garlic, parsley, and butter. I pan sear yellow corn tortillas in a frying pan in butter until they start to crisp and then afterwards, I place the ground lamb onto the tortillas. I then sprinkle shredded colby jack cheese onto the ground lamb, let the cheese melt and then place a dollop of smashed avocado and a dollop of sour cream on top. For the smashed avocado/guacamole, I like to keep it simple just using finely chopped cilantro (or just the cilantro leaves), avocado, and salt and mix it up in a bowl.

My other version of tostadas is breakfast tostadas. I usually use ground chorizo sausage that I cook in a frying pan in butter. In a separate frying pan in butter, I cook my scrambled eggs on a low flame. In another pan, I pan sear my yellow corn tortillas in butter until they crisp. After my eggs and tortillas are finished, I place scrambled eggs onto each tortilla, then place the ground chorizo onto the eggs and then sprinkle shredded colby jack cheese onto the chorizo and then as soon as my cheese melts, I place a dollop of smashed avocado the way I described it above on top of the tostadas and start eating.

Jungle Man likes this.
  18. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I'm not really that into cooking, but I make a pretty dope salad.

19. UngulateNerd92

Since this post, the Texas Parks & Wildlife YouTube channel has uploaded a few more cooking videos.

Red Snapper Ceviche

20. UngulateNerd92

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources also has several great cooking videos on their YouTube channel involving the use of native plants and wildlife.

Venison Parmesan

Bluegill meatloaf muffins

Fish Tacos

Buffalo squirrel sliders

Morel mushrooms

Venison pumpkin chili

Sesame venison kebabs

Turkey and white bean casserole

Seared duck with cranberry sauce

Chili lime salmon with mango salsa

Bluegill chowder

Stinging nettle pesto with oyster mushrooms and burdock