Join our zoo community

Coolpix P900

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by savethelephant, 8 Apr 2016.

1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member

After a lot of thinking and experience (Although hopefully a lot more to come!!) I have decided to make a review on the Nikon Coolpix P900, F 2.8-6.5. However, the main stand out is the zoom, oh my gosh the zoom! This, in point and shoot terms goes from 4.3-357 zoom (An impressive amount even in DSLR terms) and in mm terms it goes from 24 to.....2,000! And on digital zoom 8,000.
    Example of zoom:
    [​IMG] to [​IMG].
    Now yes, 2nd pic isn't the greatest quality on Earth (it has a 1/2.3 in. sensor and 16.10 megapixels), but that is more than 2,000 mm right there. And also don't forget, at 2,000 with the slightest shake in the hands, you lose your subject. However, Nikon has given us a 5 stop vibration reduction, whuch is pretty darn good. Another help with shaky hands is the play-back button on the left where a person's thumb would probably be and when you release it, it takes you back to your position pre-playback.
    Scenes:
    This is by far one of the most useful things I have ever seen on a camera: There is a scene for a plethora of situations which may find difficult, some of which include Bird watching, Moon, Beach, Sunset, Backlit, etc... My coolpix is always set to bird watching, unless another situation occurs, but immediately afterward I switch the camera back to birding. The reason it's called birding, I believe, is because with the push of the ok button, you can immediately go to 800 mm and also a more careful autofocus, although manual focus is also an option.
    Every other mode on PSAM:
    Of course, there's the old favorite, the PSAM dial on the camera like a DSLR and others including Effects, Landscape, Night portrait, and Night landscape. (Speaking of DSLR like, there's also an eye sensor like a viewfinder except this one is electronic, so when you move your eye, the scene moves fromt he viewfinder to the screen.)
    Cons:
    Of course, no camera is perfect, and this like all has some that will deter some of the pros out there (ro6ca66, Arizona Docent, Gentle Lemur, and a fair few others etc...), but thankfully, I'm not a pro.:D;) Some of the biggest flaws on this camera is no RAW (which I don't see the difference anyhow), small sensor size, and the fact that really if you go over ISO 800, your pictures will start to get a fair bit of grain. However, although a good few of enthusiasts will say the pictures are horrible, I think they're better than what I had with my "old" DSLR (Nikon D40X and 18-200 mm lens).
    Some of my favorite pictures are birds, as a matter of fact, and I am quite proud of them (Such as the harpy eagle as my avatar on my bio page).
    Conclusion: Get it!!! You get a truly great camera for a very cheap price (around $600 [USA, of course;)]).
    Thanks for reading and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask (although asking Nikon or a pro would probably be better:eek:)

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands Premium Member

I've enlarged that first photo and scrutinised it, but I can't see the dove anywhere.

:p

Hix

3. callorhinus

callorhinus Well-Known Member

Maybe it is here? :)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands Premium Member

Thanks for that! I was beginning to think savetheelephant was playing sillybuggers!

That is an impressive zoom.

:p

Hix

5. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member

I'm not that evil as to lie about a camera, especially when recommending one!;)

Last edited: 10 Apr 2016