Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Hippo House

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Toddy, 13 Oct 2007.

1. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Great pics of the hippos and of the elephant house, Toddy !!

2. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The reason Foster & Partners were chosen for this project, was in fact due to their expertise in gian glass domes. I will, of course, provide pictures as soon as the house opens.

4. Chris79

Looking forward to that Toddy.

It's great to see an architecturally ambitious zoo project like this in Europe. I think good architecture can really complement a good collection. It's such a shame that even the most expensive zoo projects in the UK lack such vision or ambition (I'm thinking especially of Chester's recent multi-million pound elephant and orang-utan exhibits which are, architecturally speaking, as dull as ditchwater).

You also have Copenhagen's planned new aquarium to look forward to, lucky you!

5. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

What new aquarium?:confused:

6. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Den Blå Planet (The Blue Planet) is the long expected relocation of the old Denmarks Aquarium. It will be placed along the coastline of Amager, so it's only 10 minutes from the city centre. It will be northern europe's biggest and most modern aquarium, with both indoor and outdoor aquariums, enclosures and exhibitions. The Blue Planet is expected to be completed in 2012.

7. Chris79

The company I work for just lost out in the design competition for it, unfortunately.

8. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Sad... Do you have any info on how it's going to look (shape, siza, exhibitions etc.)?

9. Chris79

Not yet. They are at the shortlist stage of the design competition so the winning design hasn't been announced yet. I never got to see what the brief was either...

10. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Dang... Fortunatly, I know a zookeeper who works at Denmarks Aquarium. When I get the chance, i will ask him what he knows.

11. mfabrie

mfabrie Member

When should the new elephant building be finished?

12. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The elephants will move in sometime around March, and the house will open around June/July.

13. mfabrie

mfabrie Member

Ok thanks very much., I'm a great fan of elephants esspecially asian elephants. I hope dat the group will expand with more elephants or new elephants are born. the first daughter of Chaing Mai lives in my zoo :D

14. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Yeah, Irma is quite famous by know. It is also her line of descendants that have made him a greatgrandfather. His other two famous children are Chang, Chester Zoo's old breeding male, and Irma Boon Ma, currently living in Cincinnati Zoo.

I will start a new thread about the elephant house soon, with more info on the house and all the elephants. I will keep updating it with shots of the constuction site, and as much info as i can gather. I am going to see the house and the elephants on and exclusive tour on April 8th, so you can count on some pictures by then.

15. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Actually, I hope that the survival rate of elephant calves born in Copenhagen will improve, if I remember correctly the only calves still alive are Irma, Chang, the female in Cinncinnatti and the youngest one born in 2006 (Gandhi). That means all calves born between the early 80´th (when Chang was born) and 2006 died in their youth. That is not a good breeding record.

16. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

We have just had the worst luck possible with our elephant calves lately.

Hannibal (1997-1997)
    His mother Coco rejected him at birth. The keepers atempted to handrear him, but he died of an illness.

Coco (1986-2003) and Punjab (2001-2003)
    Both died of a mysterious disease within a short period. Thankfully, no other elephants where infected.

Santosh (1996-2006)
    Santosh was a great lookign young elephant, and was considered to be the new breeding male. He was sent to Plock Zoo in 2003, and died there of a disease in early 2006.

17. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Also my thought. Only the roof is flat, and Berlin has wonderful dome.

Elephant house should be great building, though.

18. mfabrie

mfabrie Member

Yes Chiang Mai is the greatgrandfather of Anak en Asha. Very nice. I will visit the zoo very soon i hope

19. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Like the design of the building!

20. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Will the zoo try to Breed Tonsak, with Kungrao or Surin in the coming years or are they going to wait a while?