Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Zoo - Architecture

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by snowleopard, 10 Jun 2008.

1. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

About the wolves
    I am not sure what the plans are in that area but I am quite certain that they will keep the wolves.

About the elephants
    Over the last few years Ida (our breeding female" has given birth quite regularly, but since she still has Ghandi to take care of I don't know when the next calf will be here. I am certain that Chieng Mai will keep breeding for now though.

The last five elephants to be born in Copenhagen where all males so maybe it's about time we had a little female;)

Coco was the child of Chieng Mai and Buah Hah (the old breeding female, died 1996). She lived her whole life in Copenhagen Zoo and even had a calf with her own father in 1997 by mistake, but didn't know how to take care of it. Hannibal, as he was called, died later that year because his imune-system didn't work propperly (he was being had-raised by the keepers). Coco died in 2003 of an unknown infection along with Ida's 2 year old calf Punjab . It was a catastrophe for Copenhagen Zoo.
    Now Coco still remains in Copenhagen Zoo. Her skeleton stands as part of the education in the new elephant house, telling the story of Copenhagen Zoo's long tradition with asian elephants.

2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Thanks Toddy very much, I hope there should also be a little female, for the next birth and plus with the new facilities it will be really great to view a little calf the way they react to their surrondings is adorable,

I wish to see copenhagen zoo one day, it seems to be a heritage site, and the exhibits are starting to become stunning,

3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Toddy,

Concerning the wolwes, one idea would be to try to integrate them with the brown bears. This has proven successful in other zoos. If the areas of the present bear grottos and the wolwes area were to be combined, the space might be big enough for such an attempt.

Do you know if this idea is being contemplated by Copenhagen Zoo?

4. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

I think that won't happen, but it certainly would be cool. And, Toddy, thanks for the polar bear exhibit pictures. Do you know when it will open??:)

5. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The wolf-brown bear combination will certainly not happen. While I find it a cool concept we simply don't have the space in Copenhagen Zoo to keep those two species together. They need much bigger enclosures so they can get away from each other.

About the polar bears; check the new thread I have started (with some surprises) ;). Its called "The Arctic Ring"

6. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Yeah... I might have been a bit carried away with this idea. I HAVE seen an example from some German zoo website where wolfs and bears lived together in an area that was not THAT big, but..... yes, it was still bigger than what could be achieved in Copenhagen, that´s true.

7. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member

hello the new exibith to nordic animals

hello here is the new exibith to wolfes and brown bears

8. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member

hello my friends have any one copenhagen zoo new build exibith in the future? about new tasmanian devil exibith,the chinpazes outdoor exibith and the giant panda?