Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Zoo News 2012

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Shirokuma, 18 Jan 2012.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

This one is actually from the end of 2011

Malayan tapir born at Copenhagen Zoo

The link is in Danish but there are pictures and a video. The calf is a female and apparently females are under-represented in European zoos where there are only 40 Malayan tapirs in total.

2. gorgeousingray

gorgeousingray Well-Known Member

Female elephants Surin and Ang Kao are pregnant with their first calves.

3. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

'Bout time! But may I ask from where you have this information? Also, the cows are named Surian and Kungrao.

4. Upali

Upali Well-Known Member

Great news if true! Do we know if they're been bred with Cheing Mai or Tonsak and when they are due??

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I figured that yesterday looking at their ages and the time having been at Kobenhavn. Now, this is a year for pachyderms with tapir born. Perhaps even an odd rhino now?
    :)

6. gorgeousingray

gorgeousingray Well-Known Member

I saw their statuses changed to "pregnant" on the elephant database. Due to the general information and no official release by the zoo, I don't know who the father is. It would make sense if it was Chieng Mai, considering his advanced age, they probably want to get more offspring from him.

7. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member

news 2012 artic ring

hi zoo! When will the artiske ring ready? heard that it will be october v.42 but getting something in the pictures so do not know? any news on new plants in the pipeline and animals? have a nice day!

8. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The Arctic Ring have indeed been delayed from opening in June 2012 to October 2012 (week 42). I am sorry, but I don't understand the rest of your question?

BTW, it is not necessary to ask the same question in two separate threads.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Significant changes on the (white) rhino section:
    Male Curt has been transferred out on loan to Sosto Zoo in Hungary. Male Oskar has arrived a week or so later from Knuthenborg Safari Park (now without a male). All part of some serious re-arranging of rhino pairings in Denmark.
    Source: http://www.zoo.dk/BesogZoo/Nyhedsarkiv/2012/Juni/2100 kilo naesehorn til Koebenhavn.aspx

Any more news on the giraffe?
    (one born quite recently to ?)!!

10. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

A man has been killed by the tigers at Copenhagen Zoo.

From the London Evening Standard

11. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Yes, tragically a man died. It is believed that he crawled over the outside walls to the zoo sometime before midnight without being discovered by the zoo guards. Inside the zoo he walked directly to the tiger exhibit where he crawled over the fence and jumped or fell into their water moat. A bite to the throat rapidly killed him. The reason for his actions aren't clear and may never be. The main theories are suicide, mental disease or drugs.

12. Kifaru Bwana

This kind of action / behavior no zoo can stop in its tracks! Sad the man came to his end this way, and respects to his family and loved ones ... but in essence it was complete and utter stupidity on the part of a man.

13. Limpan

Limpan Member

The sad thing about events like this is that the common rabble often blames the zoos and think that the Tigers (in this case) attacked beacuse they were in a zoo and unhappy, witch we who know animals and zoos know that it is not the truth.

It is events like this and the one on kolmården that realy getts the zoo haters going, whitch is a shame cince the zoos reputation will decrease when they do not do anything wrong.

People that do not read there homework do still think that zoos is prisons and for mans amusment, witch was the case. But know zoos fill an so much more important rolle in conservation and the animals gets stimmulations so that they will be challenged in new tasks every day.

My point is that I think zoo-doubters should not get so blaming in situations like these witch they often do. The zoo did nothing wrong and the animals acted like they would in the wild. I am sure that it will lead to many unnecesary debates wheter ceeping animals in zoos is right or wrong. Luckely we zoo-chaters know the homework

Sad story from one of my favorite zoos :(

(Sorry if I misspeld some words)

14. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Having followed the news closely, fortunately that did not happen in Denmark. It was pretty clear to everybody that the zoo had done their job and this was something that was essentially impossible to prevent. The nearest to any blame was a big Danish news organisation that had a readers vote on the tigers; if they should be put down because of it. The results were clear: several thousand people responded and 97% voted no.

15. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rumors has it that the Tasmanian Devils are no longer kept at Copenhagen Zoo. Is it true?

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Haven't heard anything myself; however the average captive lifespan is 8 years, and the zoo recieved the devils in 2006 - so unless Australia consents to the export of some more, it won't be long until this is indeed the case.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

did the zoo not manage to breed them at all?

18. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Yes they did, but the female's nipples were deformed so the young didn't survive. I have created a thread where you can read the whole devil story.

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

thanks Toddy. I had read that thread before but forgot about it :)

20. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Copenhagen Zoo indeed don't have Tasmanian devils anymore, but they seem sure that they'll be getting more in a not too far future - I don't know any details, though. I guess that as long as we have an Australian crown princess in Denmark, their government may be a bit more willing to export such animals, especially if words as "gift for the crown prince couple" are used as a cover.
    I wonder which other animals Copenhagen Zoo may be able to get their hands on in a such case... *Mumbles about platypuses*