Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Zoo News 2012

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Shirokuma, 18 Jan 2012.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I dearly hope they do manage to get some more soon - animals with working nipples for preference!

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Maybe a nice and fair trade of species would be good: Tasmanian devils for some European brown bears, platypus for wolves, etc. :D

3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No problem from the European side. Sent this enquiry to your authorities/your administration....:D

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

6. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That would indeed be nice! :p Tons of Danes have fallen in love with platypuses after Phineas & Ferb (if they didn't like platypuses even before that), and all those people who don't understand the finer nuances of surplus animals, are completely enraged every time cute bear and wolf cubs are put down. So with that, we would have a "market" for bears and wolves when they cannot be sent to other European zoos, and we would get the real life version of Perry. :p

Do you even have bears and wolves in Australia? I think I've read that a couple of zoos have sun bears, but I don't know about the other species. At least, I was quite surprised to hear that there is only two flamingos left in the country.

7. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The are a couple of brown bears floating around (Melbourne and Taronga both have one each but I don't know about Cairns or Canberra anymore), Polar Bears live at SeaWorld on the Gold Coast, and Adelaide is home to a pair of Giant Pandas.

8. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

There are currently:

0.1 Kodiak bear (Taronga Zoo)
    1.3 Syrian brown bear (0.1 at Melbourne Zoo, 1.3 at Cairns)
    1.2 European brown bear (National Zoo and Aquarium)
    2.1 Polar Bear (Sea World Gold Coast)
    4.5 Malayan sun bear (various locations)

That is all.

But great news with the Tasmanian devil export.

9. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Great idea! Australia sent their largest native, predatory land mammal (since the dingo strictly speaking is a human introduction) to Denmark. Denmark should send their largest predatory land mammal to Australia... 4 red foxes coming your way :p

On a more serious note, it's great that Australia has been willing to share. With the serious problems facing the Tas. devil in the wild, it would probably also be good if it could become established more widely in zoos outside Australia. I'm sure most European zoos would be more than willing to swap with some of the species that are common in their zoos but rare/absent in Australian zoos. It is interesting that San Diego zoo, based on their plans for a new Australian Outback exhibit, appear to be hoping for Tas. devils. With the new transfers to Copenhagen, the San Diego wish may not be as far-fetched as I thought.

Though I personally would prefer platypus (or even lyrebird), I suspect most 'ordinary' Danes would be more interested in seeing a koala. Sure they just sit there and don't do much, and there are already koalas at half a dozen European zoos, but there are none in Scandinavia and they are the iconic Australian animal (together with kangaroos, but most zoos have those). There are relatively few platypuses in captivity in Australian zoos, so I suspect the chance of a koala would be much larger. Of course all this is speculative and right now I'm just happy they got the Tas. devils.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2012
  10. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm actually not so sure since Phineas & Ferb has gained quite the popularity in Denmark, and yeah, basically every time you mention a platypus, young people joyously yell: "Peeeeerryyyyyy!!" Just like the case of meerkats after The Lion King.
    But you are right in that koala is a very worthy rival. How is it - isn't it possible to get koalas from another European zoos? I know at least some of them are on loan from San Diego Zoo, so maybe it isn't possible to loan an animal you loaned yourself to another zoo? Otherwise, that would be much easier than the "mandatory" negotiations with Australian authorities.

Lyrebird would also be nice, but next to impossible. Copenhagen after all ditched their tamanduas because they were not "interesting" enough to the visitors. So they probably wouldn't want to go through the efforts of getting a bird that either hides (lyrebirds are quite shy, as far as I know) or is just confused with a boring ol' pheasant.

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The previously mentioned Tassie Devils are now on show following quarantine

0.0.1 Giant Anteater born (the 6th birth at Copenhagen in a decade)

0.1 Chimpanzee transferd to Dublin

12. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Special website launched:

http://www.denarktiskering.dk/

This article is a bit rubbish but includes a few pictures and shows the reach of a good publicity campaign.

Polar bears make a splash at Copenhagen Zoo - Birmingham Mail