Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Hvedekorn, 6 Jan 2014.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Here's a translation of the article:

I wonder where in the zoo they will be and what the enclosure will be like.

2. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Possibly the Asian area. I could see them tearing down the enclosures for small-clawed otters, leopards and/or tapirs (maybe red pandas, though that is a fairly new exhibit) to make room for it.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Can't say I am excited by this news :p just as long as it does not pull money away from keeping their Tassie population going I don't mind either way.

4. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Hopefully, they never will (in)bred or getting OLDER...:)

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tapirs probably never … as integral to their ex situ and in situ work!

6. Kifaru Bwana

BTW: there has been some speculation on possible new births (7) in the Tassie devils elsewhere? Will check up what is going on!

7. Shirokuma

They could do with a new enclosure though, the tapir house inside is very ugly and old-fashioned.

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This current group are doing really well if this is the case.

(there is an empty meerkat enclosure at Edinburgh, if any are going spare).

9. Kifaru Bwana

Alas, poor … reading. It seems Koebenhavn has 11 Tassies, including 7 cubs. So, no new littering ….!!! :roll eyes: :(

10. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

11. Shirokuma

I don't think animals that die from illness are used in feeding the carnivores.

12. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello folks,

I would like to ask some danish friends a few questions. At the beginning of July I am planning on to visit Copenhagen and as a big zoo enthusiast it is a "must" for me to visit the zoo. I am especially looking forward to see the Tasmanian Devils. As a predominantly nocturnal animal, what is the best time to see them active - a female with her youngsters would be a very special experience. Is there a regular feeding time ? If the weather does not play with me, will it be possible to see them in their indoor facility ?
    And my second question - I have ordered a Copenhagen Card due to the possibilty to have a free entry in the zoo. Is there a special cash desk where the card has to be shown ? If there are long queues, do the owners of the card have any advantages to get in "faster" than paying visitors ? Any responses would be much appreciated.
    Jakub

13. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member

Hi
    Tasmanian devil will get food program at the end of June, when the zoo will have summer hours to 20 pm from June 28 to August 10, and when it comes to see it as I have done, it was late in the afternoon but when it comes to the weather so have I've seen it in both sunshine and rain. Unfortunately, it has no inside house but there is a window you can see the inside. zoo planned to expand the facility and inside but after the big panda to come to the zoo and get a new facility so it has not prtat if they. I think you are going to buy copenhagen card to which included zoo Konstar 160 Danish crowns and more is that the blue planet part that is for marine animals. Furthermore, you can take the amount of buses you want and go on amusement park in the evening when the zoo is closed. I bought the copenhagen card every year now for 15 years and visited the zoo two days so now I have been at the zoo 32 times. have a good day

14. zoo chp89

hello again!
    copenhagen zoo have a plan for the tasmanian devil next year or two years. Now is the exibith in sodermarken in copenhagen zoo but the move to tropezoo in english for tropic zoo say copenhagen zoo to me but I have asked about when but the answer have not come. the build new exibith bacause for the indoor exibith and for the visit people in zoo I think.
    I hope you read to me sooon again and another people how can say more about it and new exibith in copenhagen zoo

15. Hvedekorn

Unfortunately, I cannot give you an answer as I don't go to Copenhagen Zoo terribly often and doesn't have any contacts from there, but from where have you heard of this plan of building a new devil exhibit in the first place?

16. zoo chp89

hello again
    I have spoke on the facebook and asked about new exibith in copenhagen zoo and zoo give me a anser that copenhagen will be build new exibith to the tasmanian devil beside the tropic zoo and the bulding new giant panda exibith but they looking for place around asia in zoo area for it,

17. zoo chp89

hello again
    new news from copenhagen zoo about the tasmanian devil exibith and new exibith. This year late moving tasmanian devil in copenhagen zoo to the new exibith behind the tropic zoo and there zoo bulit new exibith for tasmanian animals like kangaroo spices (thre differents kangaroos) and wombat and tasmanian devil. the old exibith builds to an african animals but know zoo dont know how animal.

18. Hvedekorn

I did see their Facebook update about the prairie dogs getting a new exhibit because a new Tasmanian exhibit were to built at the prairie dogs' old exhibit, but I didn't know about the other animals. I wonder what kangaroo species it will be? They'll probably keep their Bennett's wallabies, but what other species live on Tasmania? (Since kangaroos and wallabies are both called "kænguruer" in Danish (and Swedish?), it can be both types of animals)

However, they don't really have the room for a kangaroo exhibit in the scheduled area behind the Tropical Zoo, so my guess is that the pampas exhibit (maybe the anteater exhibit, but as far as I know, Copenhagen Zoo is too ambitious about breeding them to just dismiss them) will be revamped for kangaroo/wombat exhibits, and then capybaras, rheas, cavies and guanacos may leave the collection.

19. zoo chp89

hello again
    the news I hird today is the exhibith to tasmanian animals included also the anteater exhibith to. But what happens with the anteater ? more news from the zoo is they looking know for a place to the new exhibith to the giant panda in the zoo but I dont know. If they more news about the new exhibith in the zoo or animals?
    I hope they answer I t coming sooooon

20. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello,

I will be on July 1 in Copenhagen and have heard something about reconstruction works on Tasmanian Devil's exhibit. Will it be possible to see them during the renovation works ? I am really looking forward to see these amazing beasts for the first time. Thanks in advance.
    Jakub