Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Thesweham, 10 Jan 2015.

1. annebn

annebn Well-Known Member

According to the Zoo's website, a female red duiker has arrived from Berlin Zoo. After quarantine, she is going to share the enclosure of the Okapis, and the plan is to also get a male.
    The news page is here, but only in Danish: Ny dyreart i Zoo: Rød dykkerantilope

2. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Last I heard, the grey kangaroos haven't been added to the Tasmania section yet. This will happen as soon as their quarantine period is over. Wallabies and some of the devils have been moved to the new section, but the last devils will stay in the old exhibit until the current breeding period is over.

As mentioned when first revealed, this plan is long-term. It says late 2016 and this was repeated by the zoo in December 2014, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up delayed. Being more than a year into the future I presume the funding still has to be fully settled. The Danish summer has been quite bad – worst weather in a decade. I guess all mainly outsides zoos in the country have been affected by this and will end up with fewer visitors than usual. This might delay a part of the funding but that's speculation on my part.

3. Thesweham

Thesweham Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2.2 Tasmanian Wombats have arrived from Trowunna Wildlife park.

The Asian elephants Win Thida and Jula have sent to Napoli Zoo, Italy on October 27 and the Rhinos have move into the elephant house (the bull area, the bull Chiang Mai is together with the females) because the Rhino house will to be renovated.

I did visited the zoo on October 10, and ''Den Blå Planet'' the day after. It was my second visit at the zoo and I enjoyed my time to see everything which has been changed since my first visit in 2004. I liked especially the elephant house because it´s very educational and the design of the building. The Polar bear exhibit in the Arctic Ring was under renovation at that time and the bears were off show which was very sadly because I'd love to see them when they are swimming close to the windows in the pool. :)

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. annebn

annebn Well-Known Member

7. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Not an idiot, but apparently a mentally ill Lithuanian man. That has to be the most calm polar bear in the world! I saw the video of the incident and it basically didn't care until he walked straight over to it and squatted in front of it (check this photo)! Even then it didn't do anything that could be called an attack and the man's only injuries were superficial. Incredibly lucky man and I'm very happy the polar bear is doing fine too.

8. annebn

annebn Well-Known Member

You're of course right. The expression the Danish police used is 'psychically unbalanced'. According to the zoo, the bear is just fine today. They don't say how the man is.

9. temp

temp Well-Known Member

In the news it was mentioned that he was doing fine physically (only superficial injuries from the polar bear encounter), but had been transferred to a "facility" to deal with his mental state. I presume that equals a psychiatric hospital.