Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Zoo news 2017

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Thesweham, 7 Jan 2017.

1. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Literally years ago. Was initially planned for fall 2017.
    The old, unused elephant house has been in a bad state for years. I think it was five years ago when I first heard that it was economically unfeasible to update it to current building standards.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

not any more - I fixed it :)

kiang likes this.
  4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member

HELLO
    Anyone who knows about the new penguin plant will be ready in 7 weeks?
    It will be three times as big as the current one.

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Male Asian Bull Elephant, Chang will be returning to Copenhagen after spending time breeding at Odense, Chester, La Pal and Plakendael while his father Chang Mei will be retired. Chang is due to arrive in September.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How it will pan out is still somewhat unclear as Kobenhavn Zoo does not have the capacity to hold 2 bulls on site.

9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I thought Copenhagen already had two bulls? I'm reasonably sure they did in Spring 2015.

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

If Chang Mei is being "retired", he may leave the zoo? I don't recall there being space for two bulls really.

11. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Copenhagen had two bull elephants, old Chieng Mai and young Tonsak, until summer 2015, when Tonsak was moved on breeding loan to Kolmarden Zoo in Sweden. And Copenhagen definately can house two bulls seperately, because Tonsak and Chieng Mai couldn`t be kept together. There is space for 2 bulls in the "bull/quarantine part" of the elephant house, and there might even be barn space for a 3rd in the boxes of the part of the house that is usually reserved for the females. Because when the rhino barn was renovated, some of the rhinos lived in the bull part of the elephant house while Chieng Mai was kept with the females in the female`s part.

However, I feel that having more then 2 adult bulls in Copenhagen is not a good option, because the outdoor space is very limited. The outdoor yard for the bulls is very small and barren, and it was originally constructed to be seperated in two parts (one for Tonsak and one for Chieng Mai), but I don`t think it was ever used that way because zoo staff recognized that it was just too small, They usually used it for one of the bulls, while the other one got to use the female`s indoor paddock. The best solution for the limited outdoor space in Copenhagen is to have just one adult bull and let him run with the females in the larger herd paddock whenever possible, and leave the barren and small outdoor paddock for the bulls empty or foor night use only.

Chang is a good choice in this regard because he is very friendly with females and calves and should be able to go out with the females in the large herd paddock every day, but I feel the zoo should wait to bring him back until Chieng Mai has died.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  12. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

P.S.: Considering that Chieng Mai is the oldest bull elephant in Europe (and possibly in the zoo world) with 58 years, I am sure that he will stay in Copenhagen.

Water Dragon likes this.
  13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

True!

Moving would amount to a huge animal welfare concern for such an old individual.

14. annebn

annebn Well-Known Member

15. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Not exactly a surprise. He had received treatment for pain for a period because of the age related problems (arthritis) and very recently it had reached a point where the treatment was inefficient, his last set of teeth were virtually worn down and the energy used on the last musth had taken it's toll on the old animal, too.

16. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

Poor Cheing Mai. He shall be missed :(:(:(

17. Thesweham

Thesweham Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A common hippo was born on Sunday (9/7) morning.

The new Penguin exhibit was opened for 2 days ago.

18. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Video of the new enclosure

annebn and Water Dragon like this.
  19. annebn

annebn Well-Known Member

A new group of baboons (two male and nine female) have arrived in Copenhagen from Emmen. The six females from the old group have moved to Jyllandspark Zoo.

Water Dragon likes this.
  20. annebn

annebn Well-Known Member

Visited the zoo this weekend, and the penguins seem really happy with their "new", or rather rebuild enclosure. They now have a much bigger water area, so they can get up to speed and jump out of the water, which I never saw them do there before. The pool is also at least a meter or two deeper than it was before, with better underwater viewing.
    I don't know if they like their new, nice looking, grassy land area though, as all those not swimming were all standing on the bridge by the pool. But maybe they just have to get used to it.