Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Zoo news 2020

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by littleRedPanda, 11 Feb 2020.

1. annebn

annebn Well-Known Member

3 Amur leopard cubs born about twelve days ago, according to the zoo's facebook page.

Jungle Man, Neva and HungarianBison like this.
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wonderful clip and wonderful news!

4. AZZ

AZZ Active Member

Anyone know when Copenhagen zoo phased out their last west african crocodile and changed their exhibit to hold Philippine Crocodile instead ?

5. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

6. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Copenhagen Zoo has gone one down one species - their 3.0 wolves have been euthanized. It was not possible to send them to other zoos, and their exhibit was no longer up-to-date, having existed for 40 years. The exhibit will be repurposed for as-of-yet-unknown species of Asian antelopes and wild pigs that will be able to move between this exhibit and the elephant exhibit.

They have also euthanized their male brown bear as they are also intending to eventually phase out brown bears and expand the polar bear onto their exhibit (they still have a pregnant female brown bear left).

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What ages where the wolves and brown bear (end of life quality or other)?

nczoofan likes this.
  8. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Do you know if the plan is to redevelop the area for the polar bears (ie demolish that row and incorporate it into the main enclosure) or adapt the existing enclosure?

9. Hvedekorn

@Kifaru Bwana The male brown bear was very old, though the exact age isn't mentioned - old enough that moving him to another zoo and having him settle in there wouldn't be feasible.

@Shirokuma They don't specifically mention that, but the phrasing the zoo uses is that they'll let the old polar bear exhibit "grow into" the current brown bear exhibit. So I think it's a minor adaptation rather than a big and expensive redevelopment of the area.

10. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

my danish is far from good but did i got thaz rught from the video they published they will keep javanese warty pig

HungarianBison and StoppableSan like this.
  11. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

It would probably help to link to the video:

He says the male bear was 20 years old. The impression I get from the video is that it is a more ambitious redevelopment of the bear area rather than a minor adaptation with talk of "a completely new area here" and "polar bears and arctic foxes frolicking on a tundra" although it doesn't really clarify regarding the scale of the development.

Javan warty pig and blackbuck are mentioned.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2020
  12. Hvedekorn

Cool, thanks. I actually got my info from newspaper articles and not from the zoo's own videos - I'll admit that was a beginner's mistake. I don't subscribe to them on YouTube and hadn't discovered their Facebook post about it.

While blackbuck is very much an expected choice, it's pretty damn interesting if they're getting Javan warty pigs. I had expected Visayan warty pigs or maybe a return of babirusa. Where in Indonesia would they source Javan warty pigs from?

HungarianBison and Shirokuma like this.
  13. Kifaru Bwana

Taman Safari or Cikananga.

Please no blackbuck but ... hog deer or even Bawean deer instead.

14. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Javan warty pigs + Bawean deers would be incredible, but I’d take the warty pigs/blacbuck combo anyway

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

It is a mixed bag that does not appeal to me.

Aside from the wrongful zoogeographic connotations, the mixed bag conservation story you are bringing out (if you go to the lengths of getting Jawan warty pigs, you might as well hop onto the Tierpark Berlin/Indonesian zoos train for Bawean deer and others from the archipelago) and not to mention the misconceptions on regional ecosystems and diversity it will give to "educating" the wider general public on them.

Further, it damn well reeks as far as blackbuck is concerned of sheer opportunism. I wish serious zoological institutions would not indulge in that kind of antics.

16. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

17. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kobenhavn received a male Malayan tapir from Fuengirola, born in Nuremberg, in 2013. Any information what happened to him?

18. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Or of getting a cheap source of meat...

19. Kifaru Bwana

FYI: blackbuck are actually an endangered species in much of the Indian Subcontinent. To confront this challenge regional zoo organisations and individual zoos need to cooperate at the global level. A One Plan Approach fits all. Phase out in this or that region does not help anything nor anyone nor does it positively alter and improve the status of the species in the wild nor in captivity (which should be the goal of any captive endeavour / effort with or without any conservation relevance).

In this case, I would favour an active discourse between regions: EAZA with CZA and SAZARC first and foremost. This needs to be done at TAG level and with colleagues in both regions to come to a workable plan and solution.

BTW: In the end the individuals of any given species cannot make that choice, that choice is made for them. Inherent in that is a level of unfairness and - almost arrogant - attitude by (hu-)mankind in the face of the challenges of saving life, biodiversity, ecosystems and species on our Planet. We cannot have a healthy Planet, if we do not take good care of our wild animals/plants and habitats and wilderness.

zoomaniac and StoppableSan like this.
  20. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Didn't see this come by on this thread but in December a female golden lion tamarin took care of two infant pygmy marmosets by carrying them on her back. Whats even more interesting is that in both species the males carry the young, while the females only nurse the offspring. The following video shows this remarkable ''friendship''.

StoppableSan likes this.