Join our zoo community

Corporate Sponsorship

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zooish, 28 May 2006.

1. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just wondering guys, are OZ and NZ zoos big on corporate sponsorship (ie. having companies or organizations adopt animals or entire exhibits)?

2 prominent OZ adopters at Singapore Zoo are the Australian International School (Singapore) and Northern Territories Tourist Commission, adopting an orang utan and Australian Outback exhibit respectively. The Australian High Commission also helped in the setting up of the Lory Loft aviary at Jurong Birdpark by donating many artefacts like didgeridoos, billy tea cans, bushmen tools, etc.

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Yes adelaide is very big on this, we have the Channel 10 Millenium Walk,

Taronga have the McDonalds Gorilla Rainforest (the great company i work for)
    and they also PSonsor the South East Asian Rainforst at Adelaide,
    McD's love rainforests

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

macdonalds love sponsering rainforest exhibits because especially during the 80's and early 90's their name was synonymous with the dstruction of the amazon.

fortunately melbourne zoo isn't quite so big on the sponsorship as taronga is - and so far we are blessed with the privledge of being to walk around our gorilla rainforest without having it spoilt by the look of the golden arches. however, the melbourne tiger exhibit is sponsered by esso and the lions at werribee by holden (melbourne should contact jaguar!) but both these exhibits fortunately feature only very small signage advertising the fact.

4. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

McD's sponsors the zebras in Singapore. And the local dealer for Jaguar cars sponsors the jaguars!

While i agree that having the sponsors' logos plastered around does spoil the look of a zoo, nonetheless corporate sponsorship is an important source of revenue.

5. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

sure. but i owned a zoo id'e be very, very careful about who i accepted sponsorship from. certainly macdonalds or esso with less than acceptable environmental practices are companies that, though tempting, i could not accept money from.

unfortunately, it is these companies who are the ones offering as they want to try to look as though they are environmentally responsible.

6. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

sponsors of NZ zoo exhibits

I am sure that there are more sponsors than that which I could find on our zoos websites , but this is what I have found for Auckland Zoo ;

Bluebird (Potato Chips) Sealions/Penguins
    Just Juice ( drink) Primates
    Bank of NZ Kiwi and tuatara
    Newstalk ZB ( radio ) Rainforest Aviary
    Carter Holt Harvey ( timber products ) native frog breeding research

I am sure that McDonalds also have sponsorship of sopme exhibit , but I couldnt find it .

This is what I have found for Wellington zoo ;
    Arataki Honey Sunbears ( for obvious reasons -- honey bears ? )
    Pacific Radiology also sponsor all Xraying requirements

I could not find any sponsors for Hamilton or Orana Park , but it doesnt mean that none exist .....