Join our zoo community

Cost of lions, tigers, and hyenas

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by PrimoCulture Farms, 15 May 2018.

1. PrimoCulture Farms

PrimoCulture Farms Active Member

I live in a state that is pretty lax on "dangerous" wildlife, I've already read up on the required fencing and permits. My question is anyone know about what these species go for on the open market?

2. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believed i saw a tiger in Texas for 20k. I dont know about the costs in wisconsin but id think around the same price. Lions could be less, maybe 10 to 15k (im just saying what i saw). Maybe if you have connections you can get them cheaper. Ive never seen hyenas for sale tho.

3. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The fact that you have put dangerous in inverted commas shows your lack of knowledge of large carnivores.

CGSwans likes this.
  4. PrimoCulture Farms

Sorry I wasn't trying to imply that they aren't dangerous, I just find the whole regulatory system funny is all. In WI there is more paperwork involved in owning deer than big cats. And animals like 1/8th wolf dogs and bobcats are classified as dangerous where other animals for example alligators and crocodiles are not.

animal_expert01 and Canihelpyou? like this.
  5. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. I imagine several of us do. I'd also suggest you read this and then forget about owning a big cat.

MRJ and jayjds2 like this.
  6. PrimoCulture Farms

I've already read that post.

7. PrimoCulture Farms

I have a neighbor who used to have a puma.

8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello PrimoCulture Farms

I suggest you read the following: State Laws Governing Private Possession of Exotic Animals. "No person may possess any live wild animal unless the wild animal is legally obtained" is especially important. There are dealers who take animals from the wild illegally and this can impact on species survival (see State Laws Governing Private Possession of Exotic Animals).

I agree with Buldeo. When I answered 'Wild Animals' questions on Allexperts, I had several enquiries from people who wanted to keep exotic pets, but didn't realise about the potential risks involved to themselves or to visitors (see Dangerous Exotic Pets : The Humane Society of the United States). While it may be legal to keep dangerous animals as pets in Wisconsin, there are moral elements in keeping pets.

If you have thousands of dollars to pay to buy and keep lions, tigers and/or hyenas, I suggest you spend the money to protect these species in the wild, rather than risking your life and the lives of neighbours and visitors.

9. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This. This. This.

Perfectly expressed @Dassie rat

10. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well to be fair, if you do it right your not really risking anyones life.

11. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not entirely true unfortunately... you would be needing to enter the enclosure regularly for cleaning and maintenance, and that is where mistakes tend to happen, even in reputable facilities... Big cats especially are powerful (and quiet when stalking) animals and need to be treated with considerable caution and respect. In the occasions big cats do get out, due to their nocturnal and secretive nature they are extremely difficult to refind and capture, at which point they are a hazard to people and animals in the local area. Read any AZA care manual for lions, tigers, jaguar, etc and you will see the strict recommendations and cautions for working with big cats. Big cats are excellent and powerful predators, and their keeping and care cannot be taken lightly.

12. PrimoCulture Farms

There's always a risk, even in zoos you'll hear about keepers getting killed by big cats every now and again.

13. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Owning a big cat is a classic example of the saying "just because you can doesn't mean you should."

14. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How do you plan on housing the animal?

I imagine you have plenty of food to create a diet but it could be very expensive if you don’t have a surplus. You will also need special medicine and enrichment. The cat is never the expensive part, it’s the diet, upkeep, and housing. This could run you thousands of dollars.

If this is a serious consideration, I suggest reading a few keeper manuals.

I, personally, don’t care for exotic big cats as pets. I feel that they cause inherent chaotic danger. It not only presents a danger to you but also the zoological community’s reputation. I highly advise against keeping big cats as pets. I’d argue that a serval or savannah cat is a better option.

Last edited: 18 May 2018
    TZDugong likes this.
  15. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Or, to quote Dr. Malcolm “you were so preoccupied with whether or not you could that you didn't stop to think if you should.”