Join our zoo community

Cotswold Falconry Centre Cotswold Falconry Centre News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 27 May 2014.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

0.0.1 African Pygmy Falcon has hatched this week in a first breeding for the center. The parents are still sitting a further three eggs so there might be more to come yet :)

2. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited for the second time on Saturday . This is a lovely little collection with lots of rarities on show and not a Harris hawk to be seen .

The highlight for me was the pair of red-footed falcons with their chick , these are stunning little birds , all 3 were totally different in coloration ( grey male , orange female , and speckled pale brown chick ). Another very pretty small falcon , an Aplomado , gave a good flying display after a slow start .

Other breeding pairs seen with their young were the African goshawk, crested and yellow-headed caracaras , vermiculated and spectacled owls . The old pair of bateleur eagles were preparing to breed yet again with nest-building and displaying seen .

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Mountain Caracara chick has recently fledged - believed to be a UK first (successful) breeding

Swampy likes this.
  4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

devilfish and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We have had a very successful breeding season this year, including two new species for Cotswold Falconry. Among the successes were our African Goshawks, Ferruginous Hawks and Red Footed Falcons, who all had three chicks each. Our original pair of Yellow Headed Caracaras and a newly established pair had 2 chicks each. Mags our Turkey Vulure, who frequently flies on our daily displays, and his new girlfriend had their first chick together, as did Wotan, our Bald Eagle and his girlfriend Sue. This was the first time we have bred Bald Eagles at the centre. Another first for the centre was our Brahminy Kites, who also had a chick. These take us to 46 different species that we have successfully bred here at the centre. We have also bred our Swainson's Hawks, Crested Caracaras, Barred Owls and Western Screech Owls. Our smallest chick this year was the African Pygmy Falcon, who when hatched, only weighed 5 grams!

Cotswold Falconry Centre - 2019

Maguari, Ned and kiang like this.
  6. AdrianW1963

During lockdown we had a few eggs hatch as well as the Lugger Falcons. Our Palm Nut Vultures laid for the very first time on 13th March. Then we had the Chaco Owls who hatched one chick and the Bald Eagles who hatched two chicks, the first arriving on the 21st March.

We are delighted to report that we currently have Lugger Falcon Chicks! This is a first for Cotswold Falconry and if they successfully fledge, will be our 48th species of bird of prey to be bred here.
    Lugger Falcon populations have severely declined in the last 30 years and we have been involved with Project Lugger, to try to increase the captive population. Our first chick hatched on 6th April with the second closely behind on 9th April. The parents are doing a fantastic job rearing the chicks, so this is very positive news!

Taken from public sent e-mail

7. AdrianW1963

JULY NEWS -

SIBERIAN EAGLE OWL

At only 10 weeks old, Miska, our Siberian Eagle Owl already weighs over 2kg. Her fluffy downy feathers are currently being replaced with her adult plumage, a process that can take around 4 months. Siberian Eagle Owls are one of the largest species of owl with a total length of 75cm (30 in) and a wingspan of 188cm.

RED BACKED HAWK

This summer we have the pleasure of announcing the arrival of 2 Red-Backed Hawk chicks. They are currently 2 months old and hopefully one will be staying with us to fly with our other Red-Backed Hawk, Felix.

BLACK KITE –

3 Black Kite chicks hatched on the 1st, 3rd and 5th of June. They are currently being hand-raised here at the centre while their parents are fostering some wild chicks, to eventually be released back into the wild. It is safe to say we have had a very successful breeding season here at the centre.

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great succes with the Secretary birds ! On July 18 one hatched and a few days later a second chick hatched. They are being hand-raised :).

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited the centre for the first time on Tuesday (3rd August) and greatly enjoyed my visit. I watched two of the flying sessions which went well considering that the weather was too nice for the birds to get any benefit from breezes, so they could not gain much height. I saw several of the young birds mentioned above and enjoyed trying to photograph the birds in their aviaries. My favourites were the African pygmy falcons near the entrance - I don't remember seeing the species before; although I know that I have because I was surprised to find a very bad photo taken in Bird House at Regent's Park about 30 years ago :oops:

Last edited: 5 Aug 2021
    Pertinax likes this.
  10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have never been here but know where it is as just up the road is a nursery and botanic garden we have visited occassionally. The botanic garden has a mature specimen of the Chinese Dove tree (Pocket Handkerchief tree) which like the Deer and Giant Panda, was another of Armand(Pere) David's discoveries. I've seen birds of prey down the slope from there which were evidently taking part in one of their displays.