Join our zoo community

Cotswold or Marwell?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BillEel, 2 Jan 2018.

1. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Been left to decide the destination of a last minute day out tomorrow, I'm thinking Cotswold or Marwell but having been to neither I'm struggling to make the call? Thought I'd go to the forum for insight before it came down to a coin toss.

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The one with better weather forecast?

Brum likes this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree with @gentle lemur and go for the better weather. Neither collection has much to do if it's raining and both are fairly exposed sites so wrap up warm against that wind! ;)

Personally I'd go for Cotswold as it has some very nice species, a lovely setting and it's closer to you than Marwell.

4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

That was my initial thought, but both have varied spells of rain and sunshine throughout the day according to the beeb weather.
    Travel time puts me off going to Marwell

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If the weather isn't good, I would say Cotswold has considerably more indoor areas and at least a lot of it isn't as open and windswept as Marwell on a bad day!

6. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Cotswold Wildlife Park every day of the week, although if you’ve not been, Crocdiles Of The World May be a better option given the weather, and it’s an excellent place.

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Or you could go to both? They're only 10-15 minutes apart.

8. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Cotswold.

9. BillEel

Ooooooo hadn't considered Crocodiles of the World being in the area, I've been meaning to check out their big Siamese. In any case I think between the weather and the clouded leopards Cotswold it is! Thanks for the input all.

10. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Only ever been to Cotswold and I know it is great. my cousin used to be a keeper there and if you have a dog you can take it.

11. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Clouded Leopards enclosure is poor for visibility I find. They are often up high on the platform and you can't see them, which is most disappointing. Been three times now and never managed to get a decent photo once !

12. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Try late in the day ;)

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Strangely I have never had trouble spotting the species at Cotswold Wildlife Park; the only collection holding the species where I wasn't able to see them after a few minutes of patient observation (and to be accurate, never saw them whatsoever :p ) was Edinburgh Zoo.

14. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I have been to CWP numerous times and had never had more than a glimpse of the clouded leopards. Then (I think after seeing suggestions on here) I went there later in the day rather than getting there for opening time, and it was a revelation. First of all the worst of the crowds had gone, and it got less and less as I walked around. Secondly, they had just fed the clouded leopards. I just stood and watched for ages. I shall always go there later in the day rather than early from now on.

15. BillEel

Gah! Didn't check this until after I'd already left for Crocodiles of the World! Oh well, I'll take the very active fishing cat there as a trade off.