Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Cotswold Wildlife Park news 2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 7 Jan 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The penguin pool will be closed, and the penguins going off show until March, for essential work to be carried out on their enclosure.
    The pool is due for an overhaul to improve filtration and circulation, and the beach area is to be given a long awaited makeover, the new look “Atacama Beach” style exhibit should be completed during the Spring.

2. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

any pictures of this would be great.

3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

I shall be visiting next sunday, so i will have a good look, and see if anything has been done.......doubt much will have changed yet though.

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2.0 sifaka have arrived at the park from Besancon in France, as well as a Pallas cat from Howletts, to make up a pair.

5. foz

foz Well-Known Member

How many sifaka are here now?

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

4.0, by my count.

7. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Thanks. it seems they are building up quite a number for a such a rare species in captivity. Shame there's no females.

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Indeed. And with apparently only one female in Europe with a serious chance of breeding, all the pressure's on Belfast to pump out some young!

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think they have 3:0 Sikfaka as one of them has the same name and came from the same french zoo as the one that arrived last June and has been in quarentine until now.

10. Malayan Tapir

Malayan Tapir Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yeah, they had 3.0 today, as the first one to arrive is in the walkthrough part, the second is in his old enclosure just to the side and the 3rd is in quarintine as hes only been there a few weeks,

11. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

With 3 sifaka, it should make the chances of seeing one of them easier!

And i may finally get a decent photo of one...

12. Susan Humphreys

Susan Humphreys Well-Known Member

Recently enjoyed my first visit to Cotswold, the wolverine was very active and the Madagascar walk-thru was fantastic especially as a sifaka was in there. There was a lot of work going on at the penguin enclosure. What I liked best was how friendly the staff were, they all said hello when passing and were very happy to answer questions in great detail.

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

Visited today, saw the jagurundi kitten... pic in the gallerey.

Also happy to announce the arrival of at a pair of lesser hedgehog tenrec!!! They live next to the Turkish spiny mice in the Bat house!

Giraffe barn is up, and the paddock is taking shape.

And the wolverine has still eluded me......

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are they going to stick with the 2:0 giraffe from Colchester or will they bring in one or two more?

15. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

I don't know I'm afraid, the barn itself doesn't look massive, but i couldn't tell how big the paddock will be, due to it not being finished yet.

16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited on Thursday (8th) with very similar results: I saw the jaguarundi cub but dipped out on the wolverine. One sifaka was in quarantine; the other two were in the larger enclosure inside the main Madagascar walkthrough. These two seemed very happy together, greeting by licking each other's faces (chorus from watching Mums 'Aah look! They're kissing!').
    I agree that the giraffe barn does not look very big, but I guess it would hold more than two animals, provided that they don't use too much space for the public pathway. The outside paddock doesn't seem very generous either, particularly if they fence off a tree in the middle, but you can't tell exactly where the rear boundary of the paddock will be, so we'll have to wait and see.
    Photos in the can, but it will take me a while to process them.

Alan

17. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

@Gentle lemur, did you see the tenrecs when you visited?

And also, i had a peep into the quarentine biulding today, and saw a single jaguarundi, possibly the male, removed whilst the cub is being reared.

Anyone know any further plans or developments happening in the park once the giraffe house is finished?

18. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No sign of the tenrecs or the Pallas' cats - but I only took a quick look at each of their enclosures. I don't think the male jaguarundi was separated, I didn't see him, but 2 half-grown chicks were laid out in his half of the enclosure in the afternoon - perhaps it was a cub from the previous litter that you saw.

Alan

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Alan- 1. Is the Purple -faced Langur baby doing okay?

2. Have they got Giant Hornbills back yet?

Last edited: 11 Apr 2010
  20. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

I went last Thursday, the Wolverine was very active, what a great enclosure, and what a fantastic collection. It was my first visit, i'll definately be going back.