Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Cotswold Wildlife Park by Train and Taxi?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Shirokuma, 15 Nov 2011.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to get to the Cotswold Wildlife Park by taking the train to a local station and then getting a taxi?

2. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Here's the relevant page on the Park's website:-

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens

If you can, personally I'd suggest going to Oxford by coach from London and a taxi from there. The railway station in Oxford is near nowhere in particular and it is not a through service from Paddington, itself a grind to get to unless you're based nearby.

The coach, by contrast, takes you into the heart of Oxford.

I still don't envy you the journey.

3. Shirokuma

Thank you. I noticed this thread just now actually http://www.zoochat.com/38/public-transport-115983/

Sorry, just realised that it had been discussed here. Didn't notice the thread when I was on with my iPhone.

I might just try and convince one of my friends that it would mmake a lovely day out in the country and get them to drive :)

4. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Shirokuma, places like Burford, Whipsnade, Banham and Port Lympne are why I learned to drive!!

Seriously, apart from a handful of places like London, Bristol and Edinburgh, zoo visiting in the UK is extremely time consuming by public transport. I used to live in Upminster, and to get to Whipsnade by tube, train and bus would never take less than three hours. By car round the M25/M1 it took maybe 75 minutes.

Multiply the difference by two and that's three and a half hours' extra time to admire Indian rhinos, hippos and wolverines!

5. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

Oh to be able to live in Germany where public transport drops you at the zoo's door in most cases.

6. Shirokuma

Yes, exactly. I am sure I have said this before but in terms of connections it is easier for me to get to Antwerp than it is to many UK zoos!

I managed to get to Port Lympne by train and bus (but got very confused with the bus stops at the end of the day) and can get to Whipsnade in an hour from Euston if I get the train and a cab but it ends up costing about £55 total for the round trip - at least I get in free - but it's still an expensive day out so I only go once a year at the most.

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree that the lack of public transport to the Cotswold Wildlife Park is a major frustration.

Digressing from the Cotswold Wildlife Park, though, if you catch a train from Euston to Hemel Hempstead then there is a good bus service (number X31) from outside the railway station that stops at the entrance to Whipsnade Zoo; unfortunately, this bus does not run on Sunday, but I've used it on at least seven Saturdays this year and have found it very reliable.

See the link below:-

Bus X31

8. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I have visited Cotswold Wildlife Park twice. In 1981 there was a bus from Oxford right to the gate, but in 1999 I caught the bus from Cheltenham to Burford and walked from there. I have had plenty of adventures visiting zoos by public transport e.g. a three hours walk from Tamworth to Twycross (I knew a better way the next time and it took only two hours), and it is all part of the fun. I am very pleased I did not take up driving after I passed my test. I now have a folding bicycle that I bought specifically to get from East Garforth station to Lotherton, but it does the job for other places too such as Doncaster to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park. I've just remembered that when I walked from Attleborough to Banham a Muntjac crossed the road in front of me so that was a bonus that day. I do take a taxi from Barnstaple to Exmoor though.