Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Cotswold Wildlife Park News 2011

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by zoogiraffe, 18 Feb 2011.

1. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Just a few things spotted on a quick visit yesterday that had changed since my last visit in December last year.They are re-building part of the shop area by the main car park.Mara are now living in the old White-lipped Peccary enclosure(ie the one they where in when they first arrived),as they have now left for Southern Ireland.A company called Zootec have been very busy doing some very nice fake rock work on the Penguin Pool,and the Reticulated Python enclosure,and are currently working on the Morelets Crocodile enclosure,or atleast the top end of it away from the pool,while this work is going on they are also putting in a safety door for the staff at the opposite end from the pool.Also they currently have Greater Indian Hornbill hidden away in quarantine from San Diego Zoo,also spotted hidden off-show was a newly arrived Bearded Barbet,that can be seen if you peak into the inside quarters for the Sulphur-crested Cockatoo and a species of Laughing Thrush which is escaping me for the moment.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Think the laughing thrush is white-spotted Ianthocincla ocellata.

3. zoogiraffe

You are correct just found my notes from December and thats what I have listed for that enclosure then!

4. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Any news on the anteater enclosure at all?

5. zoogiraffe

They are making the old Pudu enclosure bigger for them,by expanding on to the bit of lawn between the Pudu enclosure and the Pets Corner building,they will also have excess to the old White-lipped Peccary enclosure as well.

6. jerseygorilla

jerseygorilla Well-Known Member

Any idea if they will be in before mid-April, when I plan to make my next visit?

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@zoogiraffe.
    Any idea what they intend to do at the Morelett's croc exhibit/pools?
    Any sign the programme might extend elsewhere?

8. zoogiraffe

@ Jerseygorilla they are already on show so even if the work isn`t finished,as long as they decide to come out you should see them!!

@ Kifaru Bwana they are certainly aren`t extending it any way if anything I would say the area for the Croc,will be smaller after they have finished the work,as for what they are doing apart from adding another escape route for the staff not a clue!

9. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Why did CWP move away from keeping white-lipped peccaries? They looked pretty excellent, and as a fairly fecund species they built up a good sized group. It seems a real shame that they no longer have them. And what is this place in Ireland that does have them - I presume either directly or indirectly from CWP. A Google search reveals not an enormous amount about Kilbrew Tayto Park, but it seems like some sort of farm park. Having seen the enormous teeth of a peccary, they seem a curious species for such a place to keep...

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

11. jerseygorilla

@Zoogiraffe: Is there going to be any indoor viewing or just viewing from the woodland walkway?

12. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I can only assume that the TAG don't support the establishment of this species in european zoos? There's no ESB or EEP for them.

The park in Ireland just sounds like an Irish Folly Farm, I'm not sure if there is an Irish version of the farm diversification scheme or if the owners of the crisp company simply wanted to drive some profit into a tourist attraction. It seems very idiosyncratic so far given the supposed North American theme, but I suppose Ocelot and Peccary do both exist wild in North America....although not the white-lipped species.

13. zoogiraffe

Doesn`t lok like there will be any indoor viewing for them!

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

16. zoogiraffe

Yet another quick update from Cotswold!!

The Morelets Crocodile enclosure is progressing well,it looks like the enclosure is being designed so that it has a dividing wall half way doen the enclosure,so that the staff can shut the Crocs in one side and safely clean the other,Photos will be posted in due course!
    The newly arrived Arabian Rock Hyrax gave birth to 3 young on the 4/3/2011.
    The Great Blue Turacos are now on-show inside the Tropical Free Flight House,having moved from the old Great Indian Hornbill Aviary so they can start preparing it ready to house Great Indian Hornbills again!!

17. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

In this, one of their major pieces of marketing for 2011, the main article is about the death of a rhino - a year ago. Does this strike anyone else as rather naive? Perhaps rather touchingly so - I like the fact that CWP isn't such a thrusting, marketing-driven place as, say, Drusillas, or the safari parks. But even so...

18. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I think the idiosyncratic development of the collection under the current owner (the first exhibit was for canadian timber wolves at a time when collections had been going out of these) suggests that the park is not so refined in terms of development strategies for income streams/marketing/gate revenue. I've no idea if this would be because the park does consistently well with loyal visitors or is in a good catchment area with low competition, or whether it is subsidised with private cash reserves by the owners. I could be wrong obviously. Its nice to have those collections that don't make their animals eat things out of pumpkins at halloween, play with footballs every world cup, and who don't make a huge deal out of the annual stocktake, although I understand why some collections need to do everything they can to survive.

19. jerseygorilla

I think you may be wrong there!!! ;)

Halloween 2010 | Facebook

20. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

And aren't they lovely?

http://www.zoochat.com/197/arabian-rock-hyrax-cotswold-wp-05-a-205331/

This is quite possibly the first UK birth for the subspecies, though whether they're eligible for a UK first breeding depends where mating took place!