Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Cotswold Wildlife Park News 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by trachycarpus, 12 Jan 2012.

1. MissJ63

MissJ63 Member

Latest CWP visit

Our third visit of the year - managed to get a glimpse of a beautiful Clouded Leopard who was chilling out in the sun in an off-show enclosure behind the Amur Leopard.
    The three Wolverine cubs were out playing with mum and are looking very mischevious exploring their enclosure - if you want to see them, get to them as early as you can - it seems they are out early and late on in the day.
    In the Madagascar walk-through we were very lucky to see the new Collared Lemur twins (born a few hours before we arrived!!!) and the baby Ring-Tailed Lemur who was born on 26th March. The Red-Bellied Lemur was due to give birth any time too :)
    There was a third Greater Bamboo Lemur in the enclosure in the Walled Garden.
    There was also a baby Bactrian Camel, born 28th March

2. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Taken from thier facebook page and from you tube a short clip of the Wolverine Cubs hope nobody as already put clip on here

Link -

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It really is excellent that the species has now bred in the UK :) lovely looking creatures.

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Couldn't agree more Dave, well done to all at CWP on a fantastic achievement.

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

On that note, think it deserves to be mentioned that three Wolverine youngsters have been giving names;

"Ensin" meaning "First"
    "Nalka" meaning "Hungry"
    "Niemi" meaning "Daughter"

All smashing names in my opinion:D

6. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

I hope they like rain, i'm supposed to be going to see the tomorrow.

7. MissJ63

MissJ63 Member

I'm sure you'll see them in the rain, they certainly made my Easter Sunday special. Was fantastic to see them in the national press this week and congratulations to the keepers at CWP for such an achievement.

In addition to my post earlier about the new additions, there is also a baby Colobus Monkey that was born on 31st March.
    There should be an addition to the Red-Bellied Lemur family by now too...

8. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Visited today in torrential rain, but i'm really glad i went as we virtually had the park to ourselves, got to see the Wolverine kitts/cubs and virtually every other animal Only the sloth and Anteater were no shows. Insect house is still closed for refurbishment. I really can't fault this place, there is nothing that i would consider a negative, it's beautiful, spotless, a great collection of animals, good enclosures, a very reasonable admission fee, plenty of toilets and they are not out to get every penny out of you at every turn. Top Marks from me

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many Zoochatters agree with those comments. It consistently comes out on top as the UK collection about which there is hardly ever critisism of any kind.

10. Clouded Leopard

Clouded Leopard Well-Known Member

11. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whipsnade kept wolverines many years ago and I have a very hazy memory that they may have bred them (1950/60s?). The Bartlett Society first breeding in UK pages doesn't list wolverine however. Can anyone confirm or deny this one way or the other please?

12. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

I've done a quick bit of researching & cannot find anything relating to Wolverines breeding at Whipsnade.
    It was great seeing the young Wolverines at the park though, its great news, hopefully many more births over the years!

13. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have checked the Whipsnade breeding records in every ZSL Annual Report during the 1960s; there is no record of wolverine births for the years 1960 – 1969 inclusive.

Regrettably I don’t have the complete set of ZSL Annual Reports for the 1950s; I am missing those for the years 1950 and 1958. :( However, for the other eight years in that decade, I can confirm that there is no record of Wolverine births at Whipsnade.

(NB In the extremely unlikely event that anybody has unwanted copies of the ZSL Annual Reports for 1950 or 1958, I would willingly purchase them.:rolleyes:)

14. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm sure you are right, I had no more than a vague feeling, I'm probably getting mixed up with another species

15. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Ostrich Subspecies

I visited CWP earlier this year, and was very impressed, especially with the bird collection, but was a little confused by the guidebook when it came to the ostrich. The book mentioned the Masai subspecies, but the zoo's signage didn't, so I'm not sure if they just have a generic ostrich, or a subspecies. Zootierliste suggests generic, but I didn't find this site particularly accurate when it came to UK collections, especially CWP. Can anyone confirm/deny what ostrich CWP have? Thanks.

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Cotswold used to have Masai Ostrich,but they currently have generic Ostrich,its a case of the guidebook not moving with the times.As for zootierlist no its not as accurate for the UK but its getting there!

17. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that clarification zoogiraffe.

18. williamjwright

williamjwright New Member

They have red panda babies!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unfortunatly the parks group of batchelor Giraffe is now down from four to three individuals. Icarus, one of the Rothschild males they recieved from Woburn in 2011 died in May following complications from an injured hoof.

Shame that :(

20. Giraffe 67

Giraffe 67 Member

I was deeply upset when I found out about Icarus last week. I witnessed his birth at Woburn and he became my favourite. A sad loss