Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Cotswold Wildlife Park news 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by vogelcommando, 5 Jan 2015.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sadly the park have confirmed (via Facebook) that the final Purple Faced Langur recently passed away due to illness. He was the last of his species in Europe

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A shame, but at least I got to see him one last time earlier this month :)

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And at this juncture, kudos to Belfast and Edinburgh for importing the original animals at what would have been great expense from Colombo & Perth WA respectively, shame it didn't work out.

4. TeaLovingDave

Of course, it *was* working out at Edinburgh - the group was breeding well. Just a shame the new director wanted shot of them as a "dead end taxon" on the basis they were the only group in Europe...... common sense would dictate that any zoo population has to start somewhere.

5. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

Update CWP.

1/A female Great Indian hornbill has arrived from Germany .It is in the aviary next to the male .Both showing considerable interest in one another.
    2/ The lone king vulture has gone to the National Bird Of Prey Centre.
    3/A pair of ostriches is now with the oryx as you enter the park.They occupy the paddock alternately
    4/The eland still haven't been mixed with the rhino.
    5/Young wolverines now visible

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pleased to hear they now have a prospective pair again. Cotswold have kept this impressive species for many years and I think achieved the first UK breeding of them(?). The last time I visited was the first time they have not had any, though a notice did say they were acquiring a fresh pair.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

they did indeed. They even say so on their website, so they are justifiably proud of it. They obtained their pair in 1970 but breeding failed every year from 1977 until 1983 when the parents finally managed to hatch and rear a chick. There is an article here: http://www.bobgolding.co.uk/Zoologi...adan-Nigeria/PDF-paper/breeding_hornbill.aspx

As an interesting aside, there's an older (2007) thread about first zoo breedings of hornbills (http://www.zoochat.com/2/zoo-first-breedings-hornbills-10135/) and the very first Great Hornbill breeding was at Honolulu in 1968.

8. logroll

logroll Member

Not sure if it's been posted here about the baby Emperor Tamarin twins.. was wondering when they were born?
    Visited last Wednesday and they were quite tiny and clinging on tight to mum/dad!

9. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

First visit today anything I should look out for ?

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Don't forget to go inside the cafe,to see the Arabian Rock Hyrax!

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Check the opening times of the lemur walk-through - you don't want to miss out on that ;)

Alan

12. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Got to Cotswold yesterday only ended up with about 3 hours very impressed with whole place will definately go back again. Yes got inside the cafe and the lemurs never come across a group of so vocal ring tailed Lemurs before. Saw baby rhino and tamarins who are still clinging . Camels were very scruffy . Are the giraffes of mixed sub species ? I was really surprised they had species of venemous snake.

13. TeaLovingDave

Glad you enjoyed it - it's definitely one of the top collections in the UK, and quite overlooked in my opinion.

The giraffes are hybrids I believe, with the exception of the male who is pure but from a very over-represented line if I recall correctly.

Just a shame your visit came 5 or 6 weeks too late to see the odd langur, really..... :(

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

16. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

CWP update.

1/Sadly the female Great Indian Hornbill has died due to a brain haemorrhage after showing a lot of interest in the male.Piping guan now occupy enclosure adjacent to male Indian hornbill.
    2/The crowned cranes have produced two chicks and appear to be raising them successfully themselves.
    3/ The orxy seem to have been reduced in number as do the zebra-even with a new foal.There seems to be just a pair of ostrich sharing the orxy enclosure now at the entrance to the park.
    4/Walk through aviary in walled garden now almost ready to open following renovation.
    5/Eland pair have now gone from old zebra house.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2015
  17. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a list of current bird species on show and is the walk thru aviary open yet as will be visiting Thursday 20th many thanks in advance

18. Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl Well-Known Member

Another male rhino born last night.

Posted on Facebook this afternoon

19. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited yesterday and , as always , thoroughly enjoyed the collection . The gardens were looking spectacular , particularly in the Walled Garden . There were a lot of visitors .

The white rhino group with 2 x 2015 born male calves , plus a 2013 born juvenile , looked great . The antics of the tiny August born calf were great to watch .

I liked the naked mole-rat exhibit by the yellow mongooses , simply done but showing the big group well . The walk-through aviary in the Walled garden is now walk in , onto a large decking area , then out by the same door I think I preferred it as it was , though it now probably gives the birds more privacy as visitors remain at the front .

I noted a number of bird breedings , 2 Chilean flamingos being hand-reared ( the flock on the lake also had chicks , I think it was quite a few years since they last bred ) . Kenya crested guineafowl and scarlet ibis had also been hand-reared . In the Tropical House the pair of African pygmy goose had 2 goslings ( really pleased to see this ) . In the enclosure opposite the wolves there were 2 well-grown grey-necked crowned cranes with their parents . There were 2 road-runners on their own in a Walled garden aviary , on the last few visits I have only seen one in a mixed aviary .

20. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news about the Pygmy geese!