Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Cotswold Wildlife Park news 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 13 Jan 2017.

1. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1:0 White Rhino born on the 13th of September. The mother is Ruby.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From Facebook:

We're delighted to announce the birth of the Park's first Red Titi Monkey baby. He's been named Nacho and was born to first-time parents Iquitos and Mucho who recently arrived at the Park. Within minutes of meeting each other, the pair were sat with their tales entwined (a characteristic of pair-bonding with this species). Titi Monkeys are believed to be monogamous and pair for life. Visitors can see the new family in the Walled Garden.

Kifaru Bwana and Brum like this.
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bad grammar and incorrect spelling in the same phrase *sighs*
    Congratulations to the keepers of course.

Quincey likes this.
  4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On my first visit to CWP 3 years ago, I saw Ground Cuscus in 2 separate locations in the park, but on subsequent visits last year and a few days ago I didn't see them anywhere!

Have they left? Or are they simply offshow?
    ZTL still lists them as a current holder!

5. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

This could just be a massive oversight on my part - but I don't recall seeing ground cuscus in the park in the last couple of years, and we've visited a fair few times.

6. pipaluk

Thanks for confirming Zia, so does anyone know if they are offshow? If not they need removing from ZTL probably!

7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen them, but the last photo in the gallery is from 2015

8. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are still listed in the current inventory for Edinburgh too but are not even shown on their website either!

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

On my last visit to CWP - in December 2016 - the Tropical House was closed due to bird flu, so I cannot comment on whether the species was on-display then. However, the species was most certainly on-display in summer 2016, as I believe Thylo saw the species there during his UK trip.

The Edinburgh website hasn't been a reliable indicator of whether a species is present or not for some years, however - it sometimes lists species which are long-since gone and omits to list other species which are most certainly present. As the annual inventories for RZSS are made available online, the ZTL entries for these two collections tend to be pretty accurate - as I do with the similar inventories released by Paignton, Living Coasts and Chester, whenever one is released I set aside some time and do a full update of Zootierliste. As such the entries for these zoos can be viewed as accurate within a year or so at worst.

One of the main issues when it comes to inaccuracies creeping onto ZTL is people deleting entries when they haven't seen a species for a while, or when a species is not mentioned on the collection website :p this has led to certain individuals best left unmentioned gutting the entries for collections such as Dudley, Newquay and Twycross......

10. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I don't think he's ever posted his comments about CWP on his review thread so I wouldn't know. @ThylacineAlive could you confirm?

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think he's trying to set a record for the greatest length of time between making a trip and writing about the trip.

Brum and Swampy like this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I only saw cuscus at Bristol.

To be fair, I've posted a few entries about the trip and do have a yet to be posted backlog.

~Thylo

pipaluk likes this.
  13. pipaluk

Thanks for confirming. I would be surprised if you had seen them at CWP, as there weren't any onshow in April 2016 when I was there.

14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Sorry if my post came across as a criticism - it really wasn't meant that way. Was just saying I didn't think I'd seen you say that. I don't believe the cuscus were on show at CWP when you visited either so @TeaLovingDave must be mistaken.

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Quite alright. I was just saying in general.

~Thylo

Zia likes this.
  16. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Good - because I've enjoyed reading the reviews you have posted. It is interesting to see your pespective.

17. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

First ever visit today, really is a lovely place. Much smaller than I was expecting, but that made it just the right size - big enough to keep a zoo-nerd like me happy but small enough not too get too tiring for non-zoo-nerd companions. Highlight was Alan the white rhino calf, the Greater Bamboo Lemurs, the Crowned Sifakas (much smaller than I thought they would be) and nice active Clouded Leopards and Binturong. The Blue-faced Honeyeater was also quite special, don't think I've ever seen them before. Paellas Cats and Siamangs were no-shows but I have seen those species before.

Really nice place, hope it won't be my last visit :)

Giant Panda, TeaLovingDave and Brum like this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

Would a Paella Cat be the Spanish version? :p

Crowthorne and BongoHardwood like this.
  19. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Haha, you'd have thought I'd written 'Pallas Cat' more than enough for my autocorrect to know it by now :rolleyes:

20. TeaLovingDave

There are much worse things "Pallas" could conceivably become thanks to autocorrect :p

PAT and Crowthorne like this.