Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Cotswold Wildlife Park news 2018-19

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by vogelcommando, 4 Feb 2018.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member

Great reviews so far will be visiting a week Monday will be trying to get photographs of the bird species and some of the cats so many thanks for pointing out where some of the birds are.

demonmoth likes this.
  2. demonmoth

demonmoth Well-Known Member

REPTILE HOUSE

Massive change around and some new species I haven't seen before

soon as you come in the first enclosure on your left held two eyelash vipers, nest tot hat three Gila monsters being fed mice, a Chilean rose tarantula someone must have made it made as the hair was missing on its abdomen, and next that was a very impressive looking Fiji banded male iguana.

MAIN PART

phew where do I start, I saw a panther chameleon with a Madagascan day gecko, puff adder displaying well first time I got a decent picture of it, frilled lizards showing well and sharing with another lizard which the name escapes now, slightly annoying as I have never seen it before.

the Chinese crocodile lizards showing well and saw three, two rhino iguanas, the hooded croba not showing though, eastern diamondback rattlesnake, showing off amazingly, three young tree pythons doing what they do best! two black tree monitors one being very active, also alone emerald tree monitor showing well on the branches, a handful of blue fence lizards basking and the chuckwalla nowhere to be seen. Another first for me Three emerald skins, what absolute beauties!!!! Jamaican Boa being very active and alone beauty rat snake showing but glass very dirty, the crocodiles male in the water and female basking.

SECOND PART

The bushbaby showing and eating, no pictures don't like using flash on nocturnal animals, to be honest on any animals. further down where the crocodile monitor used to be hosed are the hammerhead and straw-colored bat were eating, flying and resting, I could see a lot of the straw bats but could not see any hammerheads, I may have but couldn't be sure, first-timers for, brilliant creatures, a lot bigger than I thought they were. Sae two mountain horned lizards and also two yellow-headed box turtles (I may have this species wrong) the anacondas showing, one going through a shed, outside where the armadillos lived, a very striking crocodile monitor which was being fed rats, the zookeeper had a tongs and leading the monitor across its enclosure making it works.

pangolin12 likes this.
  3. demonmoth

the giant anteater ever so reclusive one seen hiding towards the farm, under the tree only saw its tail, two Patagonian maras showing, and alone southern screamer, and a male peacock. further down alone coscoroba swan in a remade pool, helmeted guineafowl running amok on the paths, cheeky buggers.

two Brazilian tapirs, sleeping on the far end of the enclosure, next with the family of capybara two adults and two youngsters being fed carrots, just beyond the closed enclosure of white storks, chattering their bills together, making noises that sound like woodpeckers, so many as well, I gave up after twenty. saw three parma wallabies and two magpie geese, The cassowary was on show resting right up the wired fencing, I tried my best to get a picture, but no good, but she is quite a beauty, worthwhile seeing, where the African crowned cranes were kept are the two naped cranes living, such a big enclosure! obviously, the Visayan warty pigs are gone, but the enclosure is empty, be quite nice if a European species could be kept next to the Eurasian wolves.

the wolves, in now the winter coat all look fit, healthy and strong, fingers crossed been such a sad time for these, the boys were running up and down as a zookeeper was nearby but rested one they left, still nervous I believe, but I don't blame them.

The Lake was quite empty don't know because of the construction work towards the end of the lake towards the rhinos, but I did see a lone magpie goose, a flock of bar-headed geese and red-breasted geese, a few eclipsed red-headed pochards, common pochards, Eurasian wigeons and eiders, few mallards and duckling, another first time a wild grey heron in the trees of the island. round the other side where the island faces towards the zebras, was a small flock of emperor geese.

the four eastern white pelicans on the far right, just in front of the very shy flock of Chilean flamingos, too far away to get a decent picture. over the bridge no birds to be seen or the terrapins that normally lounge on an old dead tree in the water, that has been removed and a small wall is being built/

4. demonmoth

The white rhinos, the male was kept in the inside paddock while the adult females and two sub adult rhinos have the whole paddock to themselves, all grazing, Belle on herself but nearby the others.

the chapman's zebras herd seemed to have dwindled to two adults and the young foal was who was very close to mum, a pleasure to watch, such a personality on it. I could not see the rest of the herd inside of their houses and paddock

CLOUDED LEOPARD

Fantastic!!! could not believe my luck the one with the "saggy" belly was just showing off, jumping from tree to tree, coming down using that huge tree as there was a tiny piece of meat, ate it and casually came down and around to the other window, the one who's always asleep, woke up began to groom, beautiful, id o recommend coming in the afternoon to see these beauties, around 2 towards 4pm they seem to be more active then.

Giraffes were walking around the enclosure, seemed content and not necking one another.

LIONS

guess what, asleep, Rana popped his head for a minute or two and went back down, the girls at the very back towards the "second" enclosures, could not get a picture, saw tail and feet.

INSECT HOUSE

no, nope, no, sorry not a fan quickly dove in and dove out, its those whipless scorpions, scare me

RED PANDAS
    saw both, asleep, went back on the afternoon, still asleep

5. demonmoth

CAMELS

two adults and young adult being fed grass by the public could have been worse, all in the nice summer coats, dwarf mongoose saw two just sentry watching, the crested porcupines, lovely family group, fast asleep.

LITTLE AFRICA
    gundi lots and lots, all sleeping one was eating, the naked mole rats, great set up quite a few of them, nuemans grass rat, i only saw one feeding, about six sacred ibises new for me outside in the enclosure, the blue cranes hiding at the back, alone crested guinea fowl marching around, the kirks dik-dik none to be seen.

i think thats it!!! PHEW thanks for hanging in there guys and gals, now to sort the pics out!

6. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member

Gidgee skink maybe?

demonmoth likes this.
  7. demonmoth

Thats the badger!! thank you xx

pangolin12 likes this.
  8. AdrianW1963

Great review I have added a list of all bird species in the current collection, did notice that a lot of the water fowl have been moved on to other collections and a few of the birds of prey have also left the collection to go to other collections

9. AdrianW1963

Will be visiting 22nd now that Demonmoth as done a great review I will be looking to take photographs of Birds and exhibits only there for 3 hours this time but back in September for a complete full day 10 - closing if you want any exhibit photographed let me know.

demonmoth likes this.
  10. AdrianW1963

Visited 22nd and made the mistake of going on a school day trip day 9 coaches on car park when we arrived the place looked to be over crowded with children but because the way the collection was designed with plenty of space you hardly bumped into the children except the obvious areas.

Felt a little frustrated that they have not done anything with the aviaries on the edge of the car park they are looking a little tired and well overgrown the same could be said for the old Pheasant aviaries they also need a good refurb.

On to my highlights love the reptile house a couple of lifers for me on Monday also loved the open areas with the beautiful flower displays well done to the gardeners for this.

Young Chapmann's Zebra out and about and very mobile giving great views for the children, Blue throated piping guan juvenile giving great views inside the walled garden area.

For the first time ever I managed to see all the Lemurs in the walk through and they have a Purple Swamphen sitting on eggs.

Much information gained from my visit but I will let the collection announce it before I comment but it's great news for people like me.

The only no shows on my visit were the Clouded Leopards and the Binturong everything else you could view some just about but mostly giving great views.

demonmoth likes this.
  11. demonmoth

it is interesting to see what the new information will be, do you know roughly when the announcement will be?

i agree the aviaries by the paddock and pheasants aviaries need a new lick of paint

that is exceptionally busy 9 coaches!!!

12. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member

A group of 24 juvenile White Storks bred at Cotswold Wildlife Park have been released at the Knepp rewilding project in West Sussex as part of an initiative to restore populations of the species in Southern England:

13. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

A female white rhino calf was born 9 days ago - called Stella . The mother is Ruby.

Kifaru Bwana and DesertRhino150 like this.
  14. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member

I purchased a copy of the September issue of 'Cage and Aviary Birds' today and found a small column from a Cotswold bird keeper. Some recent hatchings include two grey-headed swamphen, a crested wood partridge (making nine reared this season), two scarlet ibis chicks and the park's first ever Stanley crane chick.

One new species has also arrived at the park recently, in the form of a female red-billed blue magpie.

Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  15. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member

devilfish and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  16. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

I didn't realise these were newly on-show, but I only saw one tamandua sleeping and zero six-banded armadillos.

I also visited here yesterday (we were busy boys...) and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the weather's best attempts to put me off. Fortunately during the worst parts we were at the top end of the park, where most of the covered areas are, and also where we (@devilfish ;) ) spent a long time IDing the two hammerhead bats apart from the straw-coloured fruit bats that share the enclosure.

Other highlights included Little Africa, with so many nice small species, the (still) really nice reptile house, active Pallas cat and wolverine, and pretty much having the park to ourselves for most of the visit. A bit eery with just the three of us and the staff sitting in the cafe but at least we were guaranteed good views of the hyrax! ;)

A really enjoyable visit, highlight of the day by far.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2019
  17. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member

A new species for Cotswold Wildlife Park - today a group of spinifex hopping mice comprising four males and four females arrived from Hamerton Zoo Park.

Information comes from a news article on Hamerton's website.

18. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

Two baby porcupines born at CWP.

19. demonmoth

CWP has made the decision to temporarily close commencing on the 24th March

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

Recent arrivals include a new male Camel from Blackpool. Two male Ring Tailed Lemur's also left to go to Le Pal in France

Mattaki likes this.