Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Cotswold Wildlife Park news 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by vogelcommando, 4 Feb 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know this thread has already just been started but does anyone know as to when the Cassowary will go on show? I am curious to know whereabout they will go... :rolleyes:

3. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo have announced that a female White Rhino was born in October 2017. She was separated from her mother Nancy due to the fact she had a leg injury and is being hand-reared. She has been named 'Belle' and is currently being reintroduced to her mother.

14556 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My question: did she receive vital colostrum from her mother prior to separation?
    May we conclude she is fully recovered from the leg injury (it was not broken like with another rhino calf in Tierpark Berlin - had to be put down later on).

5. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

Few snipppets of news from CWP:-

1/Nancy and Belle now together . Ian and John: the adolescent white rhino are now in the the indoor enclosure beyond Monty and just out of view .
    2/ as a result of the breeding success of the rhino an additional small rhino house has nearly been completed by the Little Africa exhibition . This is somewhat mundane in design and does not appear to have any internal viewing? Luckily it is hidden by a band of tall bamboo'
    3/ A female Pallas Cat in in quarantine awaiting introduction to the lone male.
    4/ A female sloth is similarly awaiting introduction after the previous female died.
    5/ A trio of potoroo now have free range of the Tropical House. The other pair are still outside.
    6/ A Chapmans Zebra appears very pregnant .

Brum, minicb, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  7. trachycarpus

1/ the cassowary is due to go on display in the modified warty pig enclosure The warty pigs will be moved around when the section is reorganised - May be where young anteater is (?).
    2/ A bright green transport crate has been placed in Ian and John's hard standing area ready for one/ or both to move to another collection.
    ////

8. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Who are Ian and John? Please remember that most people reading this don't know animals' names.

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Juvenile male White Rhinos

giant_anteater and FunkyGibbon like this.
  10. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where?

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very few places that have bachelor holdings, so not a lot to choose from.

12. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

That was my thought, too . . . interesting!

13. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anyone mention on here the nightmare CWP have been having with their parking. The rain has caused havoc for some time (I think since the Easter weekend, but I can't remember exactly) and they have been posting daily on Facebook to say that the car park (the majority of which is a huge field) is waterlogged and out of use, so they are relying on the small amount of tarmac car parking for visitors. If that fills they are sending people away, and have been recommending that people postpone their visit to another time.

There has been an awful lot of whinging in the comment from people, and I have great sympathy for zoos like CWP and Twycross for whom changing or improving access is a complex process. Probably because I visit those two zoos more than many others, I notice similarities between them. I usually like to get to a zoo for opening time to beat the crowds, but even arriving before 10am at both these zoos they are both already busy, and I have been in some mammoth queues trying to get into CWP. As I can only visit at weekends and in school holidays, I have taken to arriving at CWP in the later afternoon when people are leaving, and the park gets progressively quieter and quieter.

14. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

There are, I think, two problems with access at Cotswold:

Firstly, they are (understandably) reluctant (or perhaps not permitted?) to cover over the grass car parks that constitute most of the available parking. For better or worse, they're not near major population and public transport is limited, so they need a greater quantity of reliable parking somehow.

Secondly, because of how they have the car park arranged, open onto the park, they are taking payments at booths on the road, so you need to pay from the car (I've been dropped off there before, and arriving as a pedestrian and actually trying to pay is incredibly awkward!). This inevitably causes queues at busy times.

It's something they'll be stuck with unless they're prepared to consider a top-down rethink - fence off the car park and move to payment on foot and car park pass-outs like most other zoos of that size.

The problems at Twycross are the opposite - rather than sticking with a flawed system for too long, they change the car park and entrance arrangements frequently and never seem to work out how to make any of them prevent these issues. The fact they built a new 'entrance' that is nothing of the kind, with normal booths after it probably doesn't help - it sometimes feels like 'getting in' takes a long time even when you go straight through.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Lots of people on CWP's FB comments are saying they should just tarmac over the field, failing to grasp that "it's a bit more complicated than that".

16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No problems parking at Cotswold yesterday, which was only to be expected after the nice warm weather. I was surprised to see that the banana plants in the walled garden were still wrapped in their winter sacking overcoats.

17. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am planning on visiting on Friday, I hope it doesn't rain too much between now and then! o_O

18. trachycarpus

I
    1/ I have a collection of banana and don't normally unpack them until end of May.
    2/ The warty pigs ( father and son) have moved to Lotherton Hall, Leeds in preparation for the new cassowary enclosure . This will include the white napped cranes enclosure who will also moved to another collection .
    3/ African crown crane male has died . The female will move to another collection.Sad as they bred two years running.
    4/ Ian and John , the juvenille white rhinos, continue to be trained to go in their transport crates

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does that mean no longer any Warty pigs at CWP now?

20. trachycarpus

They no longer have Warty pigs at CWP despite having award winning enclosure .

Pertinax likes this.