Join our zoo community

Could and should the ring tailed lemur be replaced by other lemur species in zoos ?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 12 Nov 2020.

1. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

Is there a decent guidebook covering the lemur species ie a Collins Field Guide, that someone can recommend?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The best option is the one I mentioned a couple of pages back:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemurs-Madagascar-Conservation-International-Tropical/dp/1934151238

There are comprehensive accounts, with colour plates, covering all species known as of 2009 - and also information on optimum locations to see various species, advice on wildlife watching in Madagascar, and a lengthy segment on the historically-extinct lemur species of Madagascar.

3. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will check it out.

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Really glad to hear that you are thinking of purchasing a guidebook on these species Gary. :)

Do you plan to visit Madagascar to see wild lemurs at some point in the future ?

If so then I encourage you to do this as ecotourism is becoming one of the best ways to encourage and support lemur conservation and these animals need as much support as they can get.

I have to second what @TeaLovingDave has already said here that the best field guide style book on the subject is the Mittermeier one (don't own it, but have browsed through a copy once and have heard brilliant things about it).

5. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

Sadly not as my health issues limit my mobility somewhat.

I want a guide more for my own information/knowledge as to updated species. I have a few guides to African Mammals but I suspect they are out of date in some regards.

Plus, as an artist, I can appreciate new reference art! Always great to have some new pictures to enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Nov 2020
  6. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Collared, Crowned, and Blueeyed Black Lemurs have all been increased to SSP status since 2013.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, the guidebook mentioned that they were currently working on SSP status for several species so I imagine that the ones I read may have been published prior to 2013 when the status changed.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Sad to hear that Gary.

I think the fieldguide would be a brilliant resource to have for both art and as a reference to the different lemur species for sure. :)