Join our zoo community

Countries you want to visit but haven't

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by animalszoos, 18 Mar 2017.

1. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What countries do you want to visit but haven't? Why?

Despite myself having lived in South-East Asia, I have never visited Indochina and would like to visit Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Laos because of their wildlife.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I was unaware that Norway is in south-east Asia :p

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

North Korea for obvious reasons.

jayjds2 likes this.
  4. animalszoos

Hmm...I guess you could have a decent guide and visit the not-so-bad zoo.

5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Nepal - for the scenery and trekking, plus I haven't been somewhere culturally similar. I don't know what the nature watching is like, but the native fauna list is pretty mouthwatering.

Myanmar - everyone who has been there says that now is the time to go, while the country is still opening up. Unfortunately now is also the time the government is seemingly commiting genicide, so I have no immediate plans.

I'd like to visit somewhere in Polynesia, but I didn't really think too much about which island.

And one day I would like to see Machu Pichu and do a South America trip in general. But right now the focus is Asia.

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, Austria, Iceland, Costa Rica, Ecuador/Galapagos, Peru, Brazil, Venezuela, Surinam, Senegal, The Gambia, Ghana, Togo, Gabon, Sao Tome & Principe, Rwanda, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Swaziland, Lesotho, Madagascar, Mauritius, Reunion, Maldives, Nepal, Bhutan, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Marianas, Marshall Islands, Line Islands, Marquesas Islands, Easter Island, Pitcairn Island, Tuamotus, Kiribati, Wallis & Futuna, Tuvalu, Cook Islands, Antarctica.

:p

Hix

7. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Spain, Portugal, United States of America (California, Texas and Florida in particular), Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Gabon, South Africa, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :), France, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Croatia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia (Queensland in particular), Brazil, Panama, Costa Rica, Belize, United Arab Emirates, - because of zoos, climate and nature+wildlife. Safety also determining factor. :)

Last edited: 19 Mar 2017
  8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Africa: Ethiopia, Uganda, Madagascar, South Africa, Mauritius, Congo (one of the countries where African Forest Elephants can be seen safely and reliably)

Asia: China, Indonesia (including New Guinea), Philippines, Japan, India, Vietnam, Singapore

Australasia: Australia, New Zealand

Europe: Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Spain, France

Latin America: Guatemala, Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica, Ecuador (Galapagos), Caribbean (just about any of the islands)

~Thylo

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

is one of those the country you are about to go to for your next trip?

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  10. Chlidonias

I liked Burma and if you're going to go then go sooner rather than later. It is getting more expensive each year and because it is the new "in" place for tourists it will be "ruined" soon enough. Having said that, while I liked it I wouldn't rush back unless the north opens up for easier access to tourists so I can get into the forests there.

For Polynesia I'd recommend Fiji the most (well, it's in Melanesia but I'm assuming you meant Polynesia in a sort of collective "Pacific Islands" sense rather than precisely) - lots of fancy endemic birds, easy to get around, friendly locals, not many cannibals.

11. FunkyGibbon

My travel plans for the next 18 months revolve around returning to Indonesia, which has become my favourite country to travel in. Then Burma should come into play in 2019.

I've heard good things about Fiji but I'm a little concerned about the trolls ;)

In Europe, which I didn't mention before, I most want to visit The Netherlands for the zoos, and Slovenia in general.

@Hix I'm really surprised, given how travelled you seem to be, that you haven't at least passed through Singapore!

12. Chlidonias

I hear that. (Do people still say that?)

Indonesia was my favourite country, then got surpassed by Mongolia and China so is now in third place. It is fantastic and aggravating at the same time. There are still several parts of Indonesia I want to visit, primarily the Moluccas and Irian Jaya, but I'm not sure when that will be.

13. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Europe: Norway

Africa: Senegal, Gambia, Uganda, Rwanda, Egypt, Central African Republic/Congo, Gabon

Americas: US, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Dominican Republic, Falkland Islands.

Oceania: Australia, New Zealand, PNG, Fiji, New Caledonia

Asia: Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia

And there are enough countries where I have been, but would like to see more of like Iceland, South African, Spain, Zambia, France (Corsica) and off course: Madagascar

14. FunkyGibbon

I believe the youth of today say "I hear you". I'll ask one next time I see one.

I still have yet to travel extensively in China. I'm too busy in term time and when the holidays come I'm so fed up of everything that all I want to do is go some place else.

15. Chlidonias

I hear you.

It's interesting - probably telling - that two of my favourite countries in Asia (Indonesia and China) are also perhaps the two most annoying to travel in. But you should definitely get yourself to Sichuan at some point.

16. FunkyGibbon

One of the reasons I moved to China was because I wanted to see Yunnan and Sichuan. If I could have taken a job in Kunming I would have (still might I suppose). I do love living here but it is also quite draining. I can imagine that that wouldn't be the case when travelling, although the lack of English would bring its own problems I guess. For other people reading though I do reccomend China as a destination.

17. animalszoos

Reasons?
    Especially Brunei....I lived there for a long time and there is not that much to do as a tourist. No zoos either (except a small private zoo) and nearby Miri Crocodile Farm in Malaysia. Also it is a small but wealthy country, and there are national parks, and still a lot of wildlife. Most common species are crab-eating macaques (does not require going to a national park to see them), proboscis monkeys, lorises, silver leaf-eating monkeys, hornbills and fruit doves. Larger mammals are not common. Many mosques to see and some museums.

Norway, few zoos but they do exist (at least 8 hours away from each other though, and are rather small), I guess you could see the Northern Lights, go to Svalbard, try some of their obscure foods (usually fish cakes or salt cured lamb), see musk ox, reindeer and polar bears and stay in a wooden, typical Scandinavian cabin with a log fire. If you want to drive to other parts of Norway, do not expect it to be much less than 4 hours. And also remember how expensive products are. Visiting Norway is not cheap.

18. animalszoos

Mongolia...such as Ulaanbaatar city. I heard it is one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

19. Chlidonias

mm, if you had lived there you would know that Brunei has a lot of forest remaining virtually intact and that there is a wealth of wildlife.

sorry I don't understand the first part of your post. How many Mongolias are there? In any case, I had no issues in Ulaan Baatar and would recommend Mongolia to anybody.

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Quite a few of the places I would love to see are rather too dangerous at present, sadly..... :p

Europe
    : Czech Republic (soon to be remedied), Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Denmark, Estonia, Bulgaria, Iceland

Africa: Morocco, Egypt, Madagascar, Tanzania, Mauritius, Ethiopia

Americas: USA, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Canada

Oceania: Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia

Asia: Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Iran (which would have to be mutually exclusive with the previous one :p), Sri Lanka, Mongolia, Burma, Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Taiwan, China, Philippines