Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Coventry Zoo?

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Brum, 13 Mar 2015.

1. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Slightly OT, how many if any of Keeling's books are still in print.

2. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In a sense the zoo history books (Where The ......) were never in print! As I understand it, they were printed off as and when orders came in.

SealPup likes this.
  3. SealPup

Someone should upload them online as he is deceased.

4. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are you making this statement as someone with expertise in copyright?

5. SealPup

Not sure what tbe copyright status is, as self published works are not always copyrighted. Would his estate mind if the titles are not earning?

Don't forget copyright laws work online by asking someone to remove content hosted. If no one with rights would object then it isn't illegal piracy in practice; ofc best to check first if possible, but as no money is made from out of print works...

Last edited: 26 Jan 2017
  6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I understand that the Bartlett Society is intending (with the full consent of Clin's family) to republish some of the books. I think that is the appropriate course of action. Incidentally, quite a bit of content in the later books was supplied by myself - while I was happy to consent to Clin using that material, I rather suspect that I still have intellectual property rights to that material. Funnily enough I'm meeting a former Head of the Government IPR Department this evening. If I remember, I'll ask him ...

Seriously, I don't think anybody should be republishing this material without permission. Just out of respect.

SealPup likes this.
  7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A single book is in print; this is the posthumously released Ligers, Tigons and Other Hybrid Mammals: A Summation and Critical Appraisal of Mammalian Hybrids which - although written in the late 1990's - was not published until 2016. This book can be obtained through the Bartlett Society:

Special publications - The Bartlett Society

SealPup likes this.
  8. CoventryZooPark

CoventryZooPark New Member

This is great- Are there any other pages in the guide book? I’m trying to find out as much as I can about Coventry Zoo Park.

Any info that anyone has about the zoo would be hugely appreciated

9. CoventryZooPark

CoventryZooPark New Member

Di
    Did you get much more
    Info for your friend? I’m trying to find out more too

devilfish likes this.
  10. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

Don't believe all that Clin Keeling says or wrote. I took him to Coventry Zoo!
    Never remember chimps there. A macaw cage in the middle was in fact the "Antique Travelling Beast Cage" used in the circus as an old fashioned beast act! I saw young lions and leopards (seperate times) perform in it!

11. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

All the information I gathered is in this thread unfortunately, I didn't do proper research as it was just to help bring back memories. :)

12. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you visit the Bartlett Society publication page you will see you can now also get
    WHERE THE LION TROD by Clinton Keeling. As I understand it the plan is that all the Keeling books will be available eventually.

zooboy and Brum like this.
  13. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

"Where the Lion Trod" was the first of Clin Keeling's books about "extinct" zoos to be republished by the Bartlett Society; the second volume to be republished will be "Where the Crane Danced".

The current plan is for the Bartlett Society to republish all of Clin's books in the "Where the..." series. It isn't the intention to republish all of his books

zooboy and sooty mangabey like this.