Join our zoo community

COVID-19 effects on zoos and animal conservation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DelacoursLangur, 6 Mar 2020.

1. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The latest Government FAQ does seem to contradict what you’re saying here. According to the latest update you still cannot visit a ticketed attraction.

Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do

The language used by the Government here indicates that it has not been possible for people to visit ticketed attractions since lockdown began. Meaning zoos do require Government steer on when they can re-open to visitors.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This is the contradictory point which is the reason for this dilemma - the government heavily implied zoos had to close and remain shut, and enforced restrictions on the public meaning they weren't allowed to travel to zoos anyhow.... but at the same time, I have heard through the grapevine from multiple avenues (not merely @Andrew Swales ) that when directly asked by zoos, the government has explicitly said they never had to close in the first place.... and that implicitly, any financial issues arising from closure are therefore their responsibility alone.

3. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I ddn't quite say that...

The fact is that DEFRA wrote to all Zoo Licence holders with a questionnaire in the run up to the announcement of the 'Zoo Fund'. They were not directly asked by zoos, they did the approach and told us without being asked.

Haydn says that the most recent Government advice contradicts what I am saying - again that is not true. I am not saying it, I am only repeating what they (DEFRA and the local authorities) said. They are contradicting themselves - by saying one thing to Zoos themselves and the opposite to the public.

Their contradiction means it is still the zoos own decision to be open or closed, and the public are still told they cant go. This will starve zoos of the income from another bank-holiday and summer half-term.

Even the FAQs contradict themselves. Garden Centres are allowed, but private attractions are not - when ALL Garden Centres are private. ALL Garden Centres are clearly private leisure attractions, most visits are simply that and any purchase is almost secondary, as it is in a zoo - they qualify for brown + white 'tourist' sign-posting, just like Zoos and Theme Parks. Retail outlets do not - there are no tourist signs to Tescos or B+Q...

We must presume that Garden Centres must have much more successful lobbying ability than do zoos.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Grass-roots perhaps? :D

TZDugong likes this.
  5. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Hello Guys

Here in Germany many Zoos opened in the Last days.
    In Baden Württemberg will These Zoos be Open

Wilhelma Stuttgart
    Zoo Heidelberg
    Wildpark Bad Mergentheim

But you have to pay your Tickets online and you cant go in Animal Houses which is really sad :(

6. Andrew Swales

Not in the UK which goes it alone, again! Ticketed venues (which could control numbers) are banned - free, mass-access ones are OK. I bet they will be busy! ..perhaps huge crowds at the Garden Centres, just like previously at the National Trust and various seaside towns...

The nearest we can get to the definition of a zoo is now something called a 'ticketed attraction' which did not exist before and these wont open until July, as zoos are classed the same as indoor leisure...

Lets hope that Twycross' MP or one of the others who spoke out, will do so again...

7. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a question for members in regions where zoos have reopened or are to reopen soon.

Will photography be allowed after the reopening? Because photography will have people standing still at least for a little while, and might also have photographers get distracted from paying attention to the social distancing restrictions. Has this been talked about or considered anywhere?

In my country for example photography is at the moment banned in all public places as you have to continue moving and cannot sit or stand still (aside from exceptions for old and infirm people, pregnant women and families with young children). So I don't know what will happen once our zoos can reopen.

If zoos reopen I would really like it to be with the possibility to practice photography, but admittedly there is a small risk involved. But if you have to keep walking you wouldn't even be able to stand still (with respect to social distancing) to watch an animal, which I don't think would be very reasonable. But these are the most reasonable times.

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Photography has never been banned here (and I can't imagine it is enforcible anyway) and there is no indication it will be any different in zoos. It is also the responsibility of others to keep a distance (which is much easier with photographers, as they tend not to move).

9. Andrew Swales

How would you ban photography without banning mobile phones? If someone has a phone in their hand, and you are 2m away socially distancing, how could you tell what they were doing with it?

10. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Interesting point @KevinB and not one I'd considered before. When I go to the zoo, I take a sketchbook and draw, which also involves staying in one place, as with photography.

I guess one difference between taking a snap on your camera phone, and 'professional' style or hobby photography, is that those with a keen photography hobby often have large cameras and associated kit like tripods, and do tend to stay in one place for extended periods of time. With a mobile phone camera, people tend to take a snap or two and move on relatively quickly.

11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Obviously rules differ from country to country, but I think if someone's standing still it clearly isn't their fault if someone moves towards them and breaks social distancing - responsibility for that would be with the person moving. And in any case, having to keep walking continuously wouldn't suit many people on a day at the zoo. Basically, if the rules at the time allow zoos to be open I can't imagine they wouldn't allow you to stop and take a photo. :)

12. KevinB

A member of my mother's photography group was recently threatened with a 250 euro fine or even arrest and impounding of her camera if she didn't stop taking photos in a public place. Here is Belgium photography is currently banned as you have to continue moving while on a walk in a public place. So I'm not sure what that will mean once our zoos will reopen and whether they be permit photography with respect to social distancing.

You are not allowed to stand or sit still and use your phone here in Belgium.

People standing still in places for an extended period, whether to watch or take pictures, could possiby lead to irrirations and conflicts in the new social distancing reality, as it could leave people unable to continue their way or get a view of something. So is this going to be something that is going to be left to common sense and respect of citizens, or subject to tight rules?

13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Those are terrible and stupid rules.

14. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe because Belgium was hit so hard with covid19, your goverment now feels it needs to go extra mile in its measures to keep new cases under control, and that leads to such decisions and rules.

However, this is the first time I have heard any country banning taking photos/standing still in public space.

Maguari likes this.
  15. KevinB

If they really wanted to go the extra mile to control the spread of Covid-19 they would have put us under full lock-down, like France, Spain and Italy have done. I actually think they should have done that at least for a few weeks, and I think them not having done so is gross negligence, as we have seen far too many violations and far too much space for risky situations left open.

I believe the ban on sitting down or standing still in public places likes on the street and in parks was implemented to prevent people gathering and to ensure social distancing.

If zoos fall under the same rules as public parks and streets once they reopen, photography will not be legal there.

16. KevinB

The Belgian National Security Council, presided by our Prime Minister Sophie Wilmès, has just announced that the Belgian zoological parks can reopen on May 18th, with restrictions like an online ticketing and reservation system and a circulation plan to ensure social distancing.

While limited travel for outdoor exercise or recreation is allowed again, travel for purposes of tourism will however remain banned until at least June 8th. One can debate whether a zoo visit is outdoor recreation/exercise or tourism, and in reality I would argue it is both. As understand it, strictly speaking only locals will be allowed to visit and anyone traveling a longer distance to visit a zoo risks at least a 250 euro fine and possibly even a summons in court than can lead to thousands or tens of thousands of euros in fines, community service or jail time, impounding of vehicles and possessions such as cameras and a lengthy or even life ban on visiting tourist sites.

I would really love to go to the zoo as soon as possible, but I don't think I can afford to risk it before June 8th. Even a 250 euro fine would likely also cost me my job as I work for the government.

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Belgium is really going all out on the stupid rules, aren't they?

18. Andrew Swales

Are you SURE this is Belgium? Sounds like England...

19. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

The zoo has reopened with certain guidelines, including:
    • Tickets must be reserved online in advance for a specific entry time. Members must also reserve tickets but will not be charged.
    • All visitors will have their temperature taken before entrance to the zoo. Those with a temperature over 38 C will not be allowed to enter. All visitors must wear masks.
    • Visitors will be allowed on a one-way path around the zoo. Some areas, such as the Small Animal Building and the Children's Zoo are closed.
    • Visitors are requested to keep to the social distancing guidelines
    In addition, those with memberships during the closing period will receive an extension equal to the amount of time they were not allowed to enter the zoo.

For more information and to reserve tickets, visit the website at https://www.jerusalemzoo.org/ or the facebook page at
    Security Check Required.

20. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

This is for the Jerusalem Zoo