Join our zoo community

COVID-19 Vaccination - Personal experiences

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TeaLovingDave, 16 Mar 2021.

?

Which vaccine have you had?

1. Pfizer

62.5%
  2. Astra-Zenica

13.5%
  3. Moderna

14.6%
  4. Johnson & Johnson

6.3%
  5. Other

3.1%
  1. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I've the exact same jabs yourself. Luckily no sore arm or side effects from the Pfizer booster. It must be my rhino hide protecting me from pain :D

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Had my booster yesterday (Moderna, all Moderna here) and it's kicking my butt. I have an intensely sore arm, a headache covering my entire head, and I spent all morning shivering like crazy under a pile of blankets.

ZooBinh likes this.
  3. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Mrs P had her booster on Friday, like you a Moderna one and also her arm is red about 2.5cm round and she says its very sore and she has had a headache all day to day (Sunday).

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hope she heals up soon! I didn't have the redness on my arm. The soreness went away after two days, as did the headache.

5. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had three doses of pfizer and had no strong side effects. From what I.ve noticed or heard it's only younger people (with probable good immune system) that sometimes suffer bad reaction to the vaccines.

HungarianBison likes this.
  6. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

My city opened their booster centre yesterday, so went as a walk-in at 9.30am. As it opened at 9am I was expecting to queue (have seen long queues in other towns on the news), but there were only about a dozen people in front of me, and I was done in 15 minutes. Pfizer again, that's my third dose of Pfizer now, so getting used to the reaction - feeling generally achy, woozy and very tired on the first day, arm really starting to ache after 12 hours. 24 hours in now and I have to remember not to use my left arm to lift things, it hurts too much.

I'll be honest, as much as I was pleased not to have to queue for very long to get a walk-in booster jab, I was disappointed that there weren't more people getting jabbed. This city was hit very hard in the first wave, and was locked down longer than anywhere else in the UK. Hopefully the short queues just mean lots of people have been boostered already.

TinoPup likes this.
  7. Prochilodus246

Prochilodus246 Well-Known Member

Hoping to get my second jab in the next few weeks.

First jab didn't go too well to say the least. Me and two of my friends managed to catch it while getting the vaccine and I still haven't gotten my taste or sense of smell back :(
    Not to mention I was visiting a falconry center the day after I had my vaccine, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have as I was hoping to test out my new camera.

8. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Figured I would mention that I had my Pfizer booster on Saturday morning. It went pretty well, all things considered - was tired and woozy for most of the Saturday, went to bed and the next day felt pretty much fine. I still have a small bump at the injection site that is a bit of a bother to sleep on, but I seem to have reacted much better than my second dose.

9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Had my Pfizer booster last Wednesday evening and again very little in the way of after effects - about 36 hours of slightly sore upper arm and a bit woozy the evening after was all. Unlike my first two, this one was in an actual medical setting at a local (non-emergency) hospital - much busier than the previous commandeered theatre venue (unsurprising given the current push for boosters) but still very well organised.

10. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Received my Pfizer booster this morning. Just a bit of pain in my right arm near the shot area, hopefully nothing too bad like how I felt after my second dose.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Helly also had her Pfizer booster today - so it appears to have been a busy one as far as protecting the zoo enthusiast community goes! Her arm is slightly stiff, but she is otherwise side-effect free at present.

ZooBinh likes this.
  12. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Oh wow so boosters are available in the US even for your age group... A bit surprised.

13. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

I had the booster on 17 Dec (Moderna) and was OK for the rest of the day but practically paralyzed with aching joints and a headache all of 18 Dec. By the Sunday, however, it had all calmed down and by the following day I was fine.

14. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I´m deciding between Pfizer and Moderna for my booster. I will be eligible starting next Monday and still unsure what to chose.

15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I you are an adolescent male (ie a teenager) and you have a choice between Pfizer and Moderna - I suggest you ask for Pfizer.

Data shows the risk of myocarditis/pericarditis is much higher (in adolescent males) from Moderna than it is from Pfizer (about 50% more cases from Moderna than Pfizer here in Australia). The risk to females is also a little higher - but significantly less than males for some reason.

Apparently the risk of myocarditis/pericarditis from catching COVID is even worse - so vaccines are still very much recommended (even if you can only get Moderna), but you can mitigate some of the risk if you have the ability to choose which vaccine you get.

To quantify the risk, the rate of likely myocarditis following a 2nd dose of Pfizer in 12-17 yo males is 11.8 per 100,000 doses, while Moderna is 16.8 per 100,000 doses. Most cases of myocarditis are mild and cases usually resolve after a few days with treatment and rest, but some do require hospitalisation - with most patients who are admitted to hospital here in Australia discharged within 4 days.

More data here from the TGA (Australia's government department who monitors these things): COVID-19 vaccine weekly safety report - 16-12-2021

I should also point out that our vaccination rates in Australia are now some of the highest in the world - despite our slow start. We have 81.2% of 12-15 year olds having had at least their 1st dose and 88.7% of 16-19 year olds with at least their 1st dose - most of them have already had their 2nd dose too (74.7% and 83.3% respectively).

It's worth noting that here in Australia, booster vaccines are not yet approved for under 18s.

My son is now 13 years old and has had 2 doses of Pfizer without any major issues (just the usual sore arm).

I'm due for my booster in a couple of weeks.

16. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I may have cursed myself with this post :p.

The past 27 hours have been absolutely horrid. I'm feeling a bit better now, but around 12 am last night I started feeling my usual cold symptoms, and expected that the side effects were on their way.

Woke up this morning completely unable to sit up, standing and walking completely out of question. Just the most horrible body aches ever, even worse than my second dose. Had a horrible migraine for most of the day. I took some Tylenol and only started feeling better around 8 PM (for reference, the time right now is 3:11 AM), and took a bit more medicine a while after. I'm feeling alright now, but I definitely feel extremely weak.

Antoine likes this.
  17. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Had a slight sore arm with my booster (moderna) but other than that good.

18. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

Today morning I got my first dose at a local clinic. Rather than one of the well-known international vaccines in India only a local vaccine (Covaxin from Bharat Biotech) has been authorised for under 18’s, and only very recently, so that is the one I had to take. For adults I believe the Astra-Zeneca vaccine is also being given. So far not many symptoms, only a slight pain in my upper arm. I took some paracetamol ahead of time based on doctor’s (my father’s) suggestion, but hopefully it won’t get too bad, I have a lot of schoolwork to do.

MRJ and HungarianBison like this.
  19. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I´ve got my Pfizer booster on last Sunday, 2 days shy of 6th month after second dose.

I got slightly sore arm muscle for 2 day. A hot and red bump at injection spot that doesn´t go away even today (day 4). No fewer. Moderately tired for 2 days, slept 14 hours in one piece. I could sleep longer if not for my alarm clock and job waiting.

Actually, I wanted Moderna but din´t pay enough attention during online booking so I found out the local hospital had no Moderna only when I was there and I felt bad to cancel the appointment on spot so I went with the flow.

Parking, accesibility, signage, organisation: 10/10
    Quality of staff: 3/10
    - a doctor with incomprehensible Russian accent, unexpectedly painful injection by nurse, friendly and efficient woman handling admin stuff

20. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

Had my originals as Astra Zeneca was sick after the first one. Second one was fine. Had my booster (Pfizer) on Tuesday and as well as the expected sore arm started throwing up, shakes and aching about 6 hours post Jab and was generally unwell - feeling wiped out today.

Organisation was all very good and efficient (hats off to all the volunteers who staff the centres here in U.K. as well as the actual medics). Not a needle fan (can give injections, don’t like receiving them) and they were very nice about it.

And I comfort myself it’s far better to have some vaccine side effects than have the real thing. But ugh this post booster period has been grim!