Join our zoo community

Cownose Ray Species in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Westcoastperson, 29 Jul 2022.

1. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

For a long time I was under the impression all cownose ray species in captivity were the nominate Atlantic cownose ray or Rhinoptera bonasus. But recently I have discovered the Aquarium of the Pacific: Pacific Cownose Ray has Pacific Cownose ray or Rhinoptera Steindachneri. So now I have to ask how many different species of cownose rays are in captivity and how common are they?

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At least in North America, by far the norm is R. bonasus. I would guess that aquariums on other continents lean towards their native Rhinoptera species but I do not have any actual confirmation.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking at ZTL: Cownose ray (bonasus) is also by far the most common species kept in Europe (at 42 institutions). The second most numerous (7x) is Oman cownose ray (R.jayakari) - wild-caught individuals get regularly into legal trade here. Next is Javanese cownose ray (6x). And then the rarest one - Lusitanian cownose ray (marginata) kept only at Valecia.

Great Argus and Westcoastperson like this.
  4. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

The Australian Cownose Ray, R. neglecta, is the usual species here in Australia (the cownoses at Cairns Aquarium are this species). Javanese Cownose Ray, R. javanica, is also kept, I have seen it at Osaka Aquarium and Tokyo Sea Life Park.

5. splendens

splendens Well-Known Member

I believe the california academy of sciences keeps Rhinoptera javanica.

Westcoastperson and Ituri like this.