Join our zoo community

SEA LIFE Birmingham Crabzilla

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 13 Feb 2010.

Tags:
  1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I've just had a very swift reply from the SLC to confirm that the new arrivals are in fact Scalloped Hammerheads (S. lewini). :)

2. Martin B

Martin B Well-Known Member

I was very dissapointed to visit yesterday and discover 'Crabzilla' the giant japanese spider crab has moved to Belgium. Their website stated it would be on display until the end of March but I was told by a member of staff it was a misprint and should have said the end of Feb. I was told that the crab left on 2nd March.
    I managed to see the hammerheads and they were very impressive and really complimented the underwater tunnel.
    I also got to see the otters playing in the water via the underwater viewing area, which was a first.

This place is constantly evolving and there is always something new everytime I go. I would reccomend a visit, if you haven't visited before...

3. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems that we timed our visit to perfection - there must only have been a few days when we could have seen both the hammerheads and our large crustacean friend.

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

True! The email from the centre said the hammerheads had only been there 'a few days', and they certainly weren't there on the 17th or Devi would have seen them.

A lucky bit of timing indeed.