Join our zoo community

Create an exhibit for a prehistoric animal

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Nathan S, 11 May 2020.

1. Nathan S

Nathan S Well-Known Member

Here are the rules

I will give you an animal that went extinct either in the Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, Paleogene, Neogene, or Quarternary

You must create an exhibit for that species and you can include other species

Most importantly have fun

2. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

Sign me up.

3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can I try one?

4. Nathan S

Your species is Euoplocephalus
    Your species is Paracaratherium

5. amur leopard

The exhibit would be immense - around 250 acres in size, but vegetation would be sparse and only a few large thickets and dry trees would be scattered across the exhibit to simulate the arid environment of the steppes of Eurasia. There would be 3.3 Paraceratheriums - two of the males would have their own bachelor paddock whilst one stayed with the females. There would also be a massive pool of mud in which the massive beasts can wallow. Lastly, there is a feeding platform where the visitors can give the Paraceratheriums food.

Could I have another one?

6. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

Could I try?

7. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd like one please

8. Nathan S

Nice exhibit remember you can include other species in different exhibits, your next species is Allosaururs
    Your species is Arthropluera
    Your species is Utahraptor

9. amur leopard

This exhibit represents the Morrison Formation in the Jurassic period. The first exhibit is for Torvosaurus. They have a large expanse of thickly-wooded forest. There are lots of ferns in the undergrowth. there are 2.4 Torvosauruses. Next is the exhibit for 1.2 Allosauruses. There are 3 exhibits to separate the carnivores if necessary. One of them is off-show. They have a massive exhibit with strong concrete walls. The visitors can view the carnivores from the top of the wall. There is extra protection preventing the visitors from falling in with a mesh canopy around the walls. Finally, an immense plan provides a habitat for 1.2 Barosaurus and 2.2 Diplodocus, who can be viewed from a wooden platform from which they can also be fed.

Can I have another one please?

10. Nathan S

Nice exhibit your next species is Postosuchus

11. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm happy to see someone followed the example I set with my "Make an exhibit for that recently extinct species" thread and made one of these for prehistoric species.

I would like to consider one, please.

12. Nathan S

Sure your species is Desmatosuchus

KevinB likes this.
  13. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Petrified Forest - Before it became petrified

This exhibit is based on the Chinle Formation from the Petrified Forest site from the Late Triassic of North America, found in present day Arizona. The site is believed to have been a humid and tropical landscape with a river system.

The exhibit would likely be set in a presently wet, (sub)tropical area.

There will be two multiple acre paddocks with softly sloping hills, multiple pools and muddy areas and a lush vegetation of mosses, ferns, cycads, ginkgos and cypress-like conifers. The higher ranges of the paddocks will feature sheltering areas, either constructed with rocks, conifer logs and dirt or formed of a cycad and fern leaf roof on wooden poles. There will be feeding areas in view of spectactors.

The two paddocks will be inhabited by small herds of the Aetosaurian Archosaur Desmatosuchus spurensis and the dicynodont therapsid Placerias hesternus. A larger herd of the smaller Pseudosuchian Archosaur
    Revueltosaurus callenderi will have access to both the Desmatosuchus and the Placerias paddocks.
    There will be off-show holding paddocks for all species, hidden by dirt berms and vegetation from the spectators. Those spectators will watch the paddocks from a mulch path, bordered by vegetation featuring ferns and tree ferns, cycads, gingkgos and conifers.

I might do another species at a later time, but not right now.

amur leopard likes this.
  14. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

Species- Euoplocephalus tutus
    Paddock Size- 1.25 acres
    Paddock Design- The paddock is large and hexagonal, the visitor path running along three sides. The animals are seperated from the public by a dry moat with rocky sides as well as a visitor barrier, whereas there is a large mildly electric metal fence surrounding the other three sides of the exhibit. The paddock contains a circular shade structure in the centre, as well as plenty of plants that hide the electric fence from view. There is an off show stable at the back connected to the main paddock by a small fenced passage which can be used as a holding pen when needed, with gates on all four sides, one leading to the main paddock, one going into the stable and the others for keepers and vehicles.

15. LowlandGorilla4

In a large glass dome in a jungle habitat visitors watch for a glimpse at the huge Arthropluera. The insects have the entire exhibit to themselves and visitors can pay to climb onto a cat-walk on the domes interior and throw down food. The exhibit is heavily forested and has a small creek inside. Could I do another?

16. Nathan S

Your next species is archaeopteryx

17. TheGerenuk

A large exhibit with high-voltage fencing will hold a pack of these giant dromaeosaurs. Features within the enclosure include a pond, forest, grassland and feeding area. Once a week, a live goat will be used for enrichment so people can see how the dinosaurs catch their prey.

Another animal please.

18. LowlandGorilla4

I don't know about the goat, I think most people would object to the use of goats (witch are quite intelligent as I have learned from experience). Possibly use chickens or even try tying a carcass to a drone and making them chase it. The goat only shows visitors how they eat and kill but not how they hunt. Otherwise good!!

19. TheGerenuk

Your idea is definitely way better than my original idea. Maybe that'll be used instead (albeit dino-proofed in case of a mishap).

LowlandGorilla4 likes this.
  20. Nathan S

Your species is edaphosaurus