Join our zoo community

Creature of the moonlit streams...

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by pangolin12, 8 Feb 2019.

1. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I’m visiting Portugal this year and have decided to venture the pitch black streams in search of the:
    PYRENEAN DESMAN (galemys pyrenaicus)
    Yes, I am crazy!!!

Before I do this, I need your help if possible, are there any lures/ humane traps I could use? where is my best chance of seeing the little critters? (due to their elusive nature the chances are probably slim to none) Thanks for any replies, I may expand on this thread on my journey to Portugal this spring...

Last edited: 8 Feb 2019
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@devilfish went looking for desmans when he was in Portugal. Maybe he can make some suggestions about where to look.

pangolin12 likes this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

birdsandbats and pangolin12 like this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wish you luck on your quest! This species is certainly one of top European mammals to see in the wild.

pangolin12 likes this.
  5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good luck.

I wouldn't do any trapping as this is a highly protected species and trapping will thus be illegal. Addiriinally it is very stressful and even with life traps a dangerous time for the Desman.

Maybe one of the locals knows a current research/monitoring project that you might join.

Batto and pangolin12 like this.
  6. pangolin12

Does anyone know which locations are best?

7. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes. Trapping purely because you want to see one is unethical. It’s just not a good enough reason to do it.

8. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not sure if you've seen this page with a couple of trip reports that successfully found Pyrenean desman. While both trips were to Lac D'Ayous in the French Pyrenees, I think the reports may still provide useful information. For example, they have high site fidelity and while mainly nocturnal they do have bouts of daytime activity punctuated by about four hours of rest.

New Trip Report: Pyrenean Desman in France – Mammal Watching

pangolin12 likes this.
  9. pangolin12

I’m going next week, does anyone know which locations are best to look for them?

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Given you have indicated a desire/intention to set illegal traps to increase your chances of seeing the species, and haven't addressed the matter further after being called out on this, I strongly suspect anyone who does know reliable locations is going to remain tight-lipped.....

MagpieGoose likes this.
  11. pangolin12

I didn’t mean to indicate a desire to trap them, I just asked on the matter, and now from the help of replies I know accounts of scientists trying to locate them, that they’re a protected species, and that one of my best chances is with a guide which I would happily do. The only reason I thought that humane traps were an option is because I watched an informational video all about the desman where the scientists created a humane trap. I’m sorry if I came off as trying to hurt the desmans.