Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Creatures of the Wollemi

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Otter Lord, 15 Aug 2014.

1. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi everyone,

I went to the Taronga Zoo above 8 years ago and I remember being particularly impressed with the zoo. I distinctively remember really loving the Creatures of the Wollemi and its beautiful landscape and collection. I have been trying to find some more photos of the exhibit to try and remember details of it and its layout. I've tried the gallery and Zoolex, but I am looking for more wide angle shots.

Would someone in the Sydney area try and document the exhibit a bit more the next time they are there?

Has anyone had an experience with seeing the platypus too?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've only been once and I loved the Wollemi aviary as well. I did not see the platypus however.

3. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I spent the best part of an hour there and came back too but no sightings of platypus unfortunately.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I've only seen the platypus in there once, and it was quite active. And drew a big crowd. I've also seen an echidna swimming in there.

:p

Hix

5. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited in Dec 2011 and didn't see the platy then, but I did see the one in an aquarium down by the koala photo opportunity spot if I remember correctly.

I loved the exhibit too, but wish I had taken more notice of the Wollemi pines growing as you entered. they were protected with fencing and netting and weren't as well known then as they would later become.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2014
  6. Otter Lord

Yeah, I didn't notice that either, which is why I am hoping someone can go by and document it better. I want to remember what the experience was like more.

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When i visited the zoo in 1999, the original plan for this area was to be a mixed exhibit for babirusa and Francois langurs.

8. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

that was the plan for that area of the zoo but then Sydney were to host the 2000 olympics so the zoo quickly changed plans and built the exhibit to show case the olympic mascots for the games. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was Syd the platypus, Millie the echidna and Olly the kookaburra.

9. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

How did they intend to get babirusa? Were there any in Australia at the time?

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

There were certainly none in Australia. I have no idea how they expected to import any pig species, it would never be allowed.

11. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

Babirusa and P. Spotted Deer were both slated for Wild Asia, as were Dhole (originally they were to be kept next to the deer in the area where the more common spotted deer now live.) Plans change, as we have seen since the 2000 Master Plan first started.
    As for Wollemi, or Platypus Pools as its now known, I have been lucky enough to see the platy a number of times. Rainy and overcast weather seems to be the trick (just like in the wild.)

12. Otter Lord

Hate to revive an old thread, but I was hoping to renew my request for a good photo documentary of Wollemi Aviary/Platypus Pools.

Would anyone be willing to take some photos for me?

13. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have you seen the zoolex entry?

ZooLex Exhibit

It is a very beautiful aviary, amongst the best I've seen anywhere.

14. Otter Lord

I have indeed. It is a great zoolex entry. I was hoping for more photos to get a good walk-through though.