Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Crocodilians at Cotswold Wildlife Park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Bwassa, 10 Jul 2008.

1. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what happened to these ??

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

about Emerald Exotics on pages 2, 3, 4 of this thread: http://www.zoochat.com/38/best-reptile-collection-uk-23844/index2.html

3. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have been having a sort out of some old Guide Books and found an early Cotswold WP Guide Book - according to the Bartlett Society list it is dated 1976 ( Red panda in tree ) .

Under reptiles its states - several crocodilians are represented in the collection . These include Gavials ( still immature ) and the Mississippi alligator .

Also of interest the large African Enclosure then housed Grevy Zebra -arrived early 1972 and the Thomsons Gazelle that came from Kenya in August 1971 ( I had assumed theirs had come from Whipsnade ) , it states that they have bred successfully at the Park on numerous occasions . Theay also had Smooth Otters as well as the usual Small Clawed .

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I suspect that there may be have been some confusion between true and false gavials/gharials. I can't recall ever seeing a true gharial in the UK. But I do remember the trio of smooth otters which were among the original inhabitants at Burford.

Alan