Join our zoo community

Crocs as Pets

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Jesse, 14 Oct 2009.

1. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

an article in todays melbourne herald sun featured a woman with her pet freshwater crocodile. but the thing that unsettled me was the fact that the cats roam the house with the croc.

is this irresponsible pet keeping......what are your thoughts

regards, jesse

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I remember seeing this croc on TV once. while i have no problem with people keeping crocodiles, this lady is a little extreme.

She should have to have an enclosure for the crocodile to stay in, whats stopping it getting out an open door? wandering down the street? taking up residence in a local dam? Snacking on the local Poodle X's ( :) ), so you might of guessed it, my main problem is the lack of security around the animal.

Having just moved from a State where you could keep Crocodiles (with fairly stringent restrictions) to a state where you can't i can see both sides of the Keeping them as Pats arguement. Personally Crocodiles don't do a whole lot for me.

3. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I love crocodiles, and would love to keep them as pets, maybe under similar rules as those for handling them in zoos. But again, agree with ben that security is very important.

4. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

i completely agree with you. the security could most certainly be increased. also isn't a hazard walking the croc down the street with no muzzle or tape around the mouth. an inquisitive little child won't hesitate going to pat the 'big lizard'.

5. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

the story about the croc just aired on 'a current affair'. i feel so sorry for the owner nicknamed 'vick dundee' that has to get a tetnus shot every time she gets bitten.....ouch

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any method of reducing the number of domestic cats in Australia is acceptable.

7. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Freshwater crocs don't eat cats. They are primarily fish-eaters. I'm sure if a cat got too close it might be in danger of being bitten, but not as much danger as it would if the croc was a saltie.

:p

Hix

8. Steve Robinson

Haven't they heard that PETA has decreed that fish are now "sea kittens"?

9. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Any comment about this Ben :D

10. Steve Robinson

On a more serious note - interesting that a private owner can get away with harnessing a reptile in a public place but exhibitors are not permitted to do so. Although why you would want to do so completely escapes me, it does highlight one of the many differences in licensing between recreational and professional wildlife keepers.

11. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

If you can't harness them why are iguana harnesses so readily available? Surely no private people have Iguana.

12. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Err... are you kidding?

Green iguanas are probably one of the top three exotic reptiles kept in Australia (along with boa constrictors and corn snakes). I know of at least one keeper who previously held green iguanas.

13. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I am more than fully aware of the iguana situation, i forgot to put a smiley up to show it was a sarcastic comment.
    Only one? I thought you were from Victoria ;)

14. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah, fair enough. :p

And it's been a while since I was active in the hobby, and was never one to get into exotics really anyway. Uni and renting makes it difficult.

15. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I second that. Besides, I think there is a rationale and conservation interest for maintenance and breeding of freshwater crocs in captivity. This lady's set up and behaviour is sure not improving .. neither their undeserved image problem nor their management in captivity. And true enough ... it also escapes me that private keepers are allowed to get away with murder whereas wildlife profs deservedly are under stringent - sometimes too stringent for my liking - on keeping and breeding them.

17. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I went to a petshop last week and they have 3 baby freshwater crocs for sale! Stupid! I can't help but think they may tell people that they're tame and they'll only grow as big as the tank they're kept in.

18. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

What state was this pet shop in? I didnt this that NSW allowed Reptiles in shops, QLD doesnt let you have a pet croc. Bits of your trip we dont know about yet?

19. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Adelaide, I forgot to mention that part lol.

20. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Well then all is good :)