Join our zoo community

Cryptozoology

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CZJimmy, 17 Mar 2008.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the possibility of kouprey still surviving is not relevant to the possibility of thylacine surviving, any more than thylacine survival is related to Bigfoot's existance. The trap that many amateur and "professional" cryptozoologists fall into is equating apples with oranges. They try and use (as an example) the discovery of the okapi over a hundred years ago as a reason why mngwa could exist; or the discovery of the megamouth as reason to conclude that Basilosaurus may still be out there. Just because one creature does or doesn't survive has no bearing on whether another creature in another part of the world does or doesn't survive.

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

That IUCN status is sort of important. They don't throw that around lightly.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Childonias- Agreed. I just asked that because his avatar is a picture of a Kouprey.
    jbnbsn99- ARKive has a color photo of a couple of Koupreys and a video taken by WCS.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Certain statements in this thread (and the one above) remind me of a couple of quotes from Oscar Wilde:

I'm not young enough to know everything

In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience.

:p

Hix

5. jbnbsn99

Video was taken in the 1950s by Charles Wharton on a failed expedition to capture a herd for captivity.

6. ThylacineAlive

True. They need to update it for a few species but they do good work and they do know what their talking about. At the end of the day, the IUCN are the guys I trust.

7. ThylacineAlive

Was Charles Wharton working for WCS because the photo and video say New York Zoological Society, which, I think is run by WCS since they're based at the Bronx Zoo. They were extremely close to the herd to have failed. Didin't they have tranks

8. Chlidonias

In 1951 Wharton led a 90-man group -- including 60 Royal Government soldiers -- on a two-month excursion in the Choam Ksan and Koh Ker areas of Preah Vihear province. He caught on film six separate groups of kouprey -- the only existing footage. Wharton estimated that there were roughly 400 to 500 head of kouprey west of the Mekong, 200 to 300 in Lomphat wildlife sanctuary and 50 in the Samrong district of Kratie province.

In 1964, King Norodom Sihanouk "designated the kouprey as Cambodia's National Animal and declared Kulen Prum Tep, Lomphat and Phnom Prich as wildlife sanctuaries for kouprey conservation."

The same year, Wharton launched a unlucky mission to capture live kouprey for captive breeding. He was able to capture five, but lost them all: two died and three escaped.

"It's amazing the bad luck, the problems that have surrounded the kouprey," Wharton said in an interview with International Wildlife magazine. "It's almost like the thing has some sort of an ancient spell over it that man is not to learn about or capture this animal."
    Hunting the Elusive Kouprey

9. jbnbsn99

And Chlidonias proceeds to find the one Kouprey article on the internet that I have not read. Well done mate.

10. ThylacineAlive

Thank you. How come you seem to know everything and always have an article or video to back you up.

11. Chlidonias

that was my challenge for the day! :D

12. Chlidonias

what do you mean, seem to know everything? :p

13. ThylacineAlive

What's the origin of your name? Chlidonias is a genus of terns.

14. jbnbsn99

You know, this reminds me of my own family motto.
    "Those that claim to know everything, really p*ss-off those of us who really do.":D

15. ThylacineAlive

That's why I never claim to know anything.:eek: (See I don't even know the right icon to use:p:D)

16. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit late to this thread, but my opinions on the most famous cryptids would be;

Bigfoot/Sasquatch - This just can't be possible in my opinion, for reasons already mentioned in this thread 20+ times over.

Thylacine/Tasmanian Tiger - I would like to believe in this one's existence, but I wouldn't know. I'm completely unfamiliar with the circumstances in Tasmania and Southern Australia.

Eastern Cougar - Plausible, yet unlikely, I suppose. Cats like these are usually very elusive, but not enough to not have a confirmed sighting in that long.

Mokole Mbembe/Congo Sauropod - My favorite cryptid. There are, no doubt, many species yet to be discovered in the Congo, but I don't see how an animal proposed to be so large could be so quiet. Natives who "never watched television, never used a computer, and never saw a picture of a sauropod" can supposedly draw a picture of one easily. I just don't see how it's even likely.

Loch Ness Monster/Nessie - Sonar searches have already proven this one untrue. Still entertaining to ponder about, however.

That's just my two cents on cryptids.

17. Chlidonias

it's my first name. The "chl" is pronounced shhh'ell (with a Bushman click in the middle where I put that apostrophe), the "i" is pronounced like a long E, the "doni" is pronounced like Donny Wahlberg (except without the Wahlberg), and "as" is arse (or ass if you're American). Most people call me Shelley for short, or sometimes Shelley Long if they are old enough to remember Cheers.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2012
  18. Chlidonias

my family motto is "Can't talk: eating"

Van Beal likes this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

Scientificly possible but if none have been found yet, then they can't exsist (at least in places such as America)

I love this topic!! Their continued exsistence if highly possible, as there are many places for them to hide and they have been seen by many people (highly crediable people at that).

I don't know about other places in the Eastern U.S., but here in CT, people report them quite a lot. I know a few people who have seen them but never reported it. Last year one got hit by a car not too far from where I live.

Don't know much on this Cryptid so I can't say much but I can say, while it would be amazin and awesome, dinos (and other long Extinct reptilians like the Pteradactyl) are long gone:(

I heard on TV (American TV so it's not that reliable as we've discussed before) that some Cryptozoologists think the species has since died. Just an excuse for there being prove that Nessie's fake (well actually Extinct since the Loch Ness Monster, along with many other lake monsters, was suppose to be a plesiosaur. Sorry for my spelling:eek:)

20. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Our lines of arguments are getting muddled. Are the disbelievers saying that people just made stuff up, or are they saying that Bigfoot, for example, as a new species does not exist? My own stance is that I want to believe that the cryptids are really out there, but am inclined to think that if they were real, that they no longer exist in today's crowded world and that recent sightings have been fakes or some other animal. I believe that the legends grew from people actually seeing something....

I am not sure how the age and inexperience jabs directed at Thylacine have anything to do with the discussion at all. Faith transcends everything. :D