Join our zoo community

CTC Conservation Center CTC Conservation Center news

Discussion in 'Uganda' started by Arizona Docent, 20 Mar 2021.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Well, to look at it another way it is a species that I believe there has historically been little-to-no interest in keeping outside the native range - with previous European populations dying out due to a lack of any collections wanting to keep the species, and hence animals being placed on contraception to prevent breeding and no further imports taking place to replenish stock once it died - and which *is* within the native range here, and as such is easily available. See also the fact that the collection keeps African Palm Civet and Side-striped Jackal, which are akin to hen's teeth outside Africa for similar reasons despite being commonplace species in the wild.

Which isn't to say all the myriad problems with this collection aren't very real - just that "this species is rare in captivity, and therefore the fact they are here is automatically suspicious" isn't reliable logic.

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Ironically (considering current events) the zoo that historically seemed to show the greatest interest in breeding the African golden cat (after a fatigue seemed to have set in towards keeping the species within German collections) were the Aspinall parks when these were under the direction of John Aspinall.

I don't know if you remember in the Damian Aspinall thread but I asked him about why the parks had not attempted to keep the species going.

Damian's reply (which I can believe) was that they had hoped to but these cats had previously been put on contraceptives in the German zoos they had originally came from and this had made them sterile.

Presumably this measure was taken due to difficulties in housing any offspring of these cats in other zoos which was in large part the result of the lack of interest that you refer to in your comment.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2021
  3. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would have no problems with sourcing of the species from the wild if it has been done responsibly and while respecting all relevant laws, but looking at those myriad of problems does show it is not a given, so my point stands that in this case there are questions. If I would be an European or American collection looking into sourcing the species I would look into other options than this CTC.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

They seem to be kept privately in South Africa also. There is an older post on Zoochat (2010) of a pair being seen in a private collection there, and looking on CITES there are records for two relatively-recent imports into South Africa - ten animals from Cameroon in 2000 and four animals from Guinea in 2009.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I sure do love seeing the word conservation bring reduced to a marketing label.:rolleyes:

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

There is a lot of con in the word "conservation" out there unfortunately and this place in Uganda seems to be a prime example of this.

Cassidy Casuar and TinoPup like this.
  7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting - any idea which facility (or facilities) in South Africa the cats went to?

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

No idea.

9. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Facebook
    Apparently they even have fiji banded iguanas now...

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oke, now it is very clear, this operation hasn't to do anything with conservation but just is an illegal animal-trading business wanted to make big money..... :( !

11. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You are publicly sh*tstorming a facility nobody actually knows firsthand, I want to point. Fiji iguanas are quite commonly captive bred.

For me it looks like that a hobbyist animal keeper bought a parcel in a cheaper country with a better climate and his interest in foremost in his own pets. Mind you, none of these animals is likely to make big money in smuggling.

12. vogelcommando

Fiji CRESTED iguanas are VERY rare and will bring big money .... believe me !
    @the racoon has spoken is speaking about Fiji banded iguanas but by the Facebook-photo they speak about Fiji crested iguanas and the photo clearly shows one.....

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  13. vogelcommando

And also, not that many of hobbyists are keeping ( and selling ) Galapagos land and Galapagos sea iguanas......

PossumRoach and WalkingAgnatha like this.
  14. WalkingAgnatha

Whoops, knew it was crested iguana, just typed banded as it was the first Fiji iguana I thought of.

vogelcommando likes this.
  15. WalkingAgnatha

Could you link me to captive bred crested iguanas not from zoos?