Join our zoo community

cuban amazon parrot

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by vogelcommando, 14 Feb 2013.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Cuban amazon parrot ( Amazona leucocephalus ) is a quite uncommon bird in zoo-collections and several of its subspecies are realy rare and endangered !
    Afther the closure of Life Fellowship in Seffner I don't know which other collection is working intensively with this species and I hope someone can help me.
    The subspecies :
    A. l. leucocephalus I guess the most commonly kept subspecies ( ? )
    A. l. palmarum from western Cuba and Isle of Pines, was bred at Life Fellowship but where did their birds went to and who is breeding them ?
    A . l. caymanensis from Grand Cayman Island also kept and bred ( ? ) at Life Fellowship and also San Diego kept them in the 1980-ties. Where are these birds and who's breeding them ?
    A. l. hesterna from Little Cayman and Cayman Brac Islands. Bred at Life Fellowship but no clue if it is kept and/or bred anywhere.
    A. l. bahamensis from the Bahamas, I've heared somewhere that it was succesfully bred in a public collection on the Bahamas but no further information....
    Who can help ?????

2. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

LPF has caymanensis and palmarum is not considered to be a separate subspecies anymore. A. L. leucocephala is actually quite widely kept by private keepers.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know Bronx once held A. l. caymanensis but I did not see them my last visit to World of Birds so I don't know if they're still there. I'm revisiting this weekend if weather permits so I'll keep an eye out for them.

~Thylo:cool:

4. vogelcommando

Thanks for that and please try to take some photos too !!

5. vogelcommando

If they still have them of course ( otherwhile it can become a little difficult ;) ).

6. ThylacineAlive

My trip may be posponed due to weather but we'll just have to wait and see.

According to their website, Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo has the nominante subspecies.

7. ThylacineAlive

My trip went on as scheduled and, yes, the amazons were there!

Attached Files:

• 099.JPG
      099.JPG
      File size:
      90.2 KB
      Views:
  8. vogelcommando

Thanks a lot, good picture ! Howmany Cayman cuba amazones did you see =

9. ThylacineAlive

I remember only one. Of course things constantly change in World of Birds and animals are always being moved around so the zoo probably has more off-exhibit.

10. condor

condor Well-Known Member

palmarum is questionable. There are some recent taxonomic authorities that recognize it, while other don't. MtDNA has not revealed a clear difference compared to the nominotypical race, but a morphological study has revealed some clear differences:
    Ottens-Wainright et al 2006: http://biosci-web1.lsu.edu/jeberhard/CaribAmazona.pdf
    Reynolds and Hayes 2009: http://www.llu.edu/pages/faculty/wh..._parrot_morphology__and__plumage_in_press.pdf

Worth pointing out that above evidence also suggests bahamensis, as currently defined, actually comprises more than one subspecies. This isn't much of a surprise when considering the unique breeding behavior of the Abaco birds. On page 29 of Ottens-Wainright et al 2006 they briefly mention a captive breeding program for the Great Inagua Bahaman Amazon at Ardastra Zoo (Nassau, Bahamas), but no details are provided.

11. vogelcommando

Thanks for those 2 links, very intresting !

12. vogelcommando

Came along an old article in the International Zoo Yearbook ( vol. 24/25 ).
    In this article its said that the Research Institute for Avian Medicine, Nutrition and Reproduction at Lake Worth - Florida worked with the Cayman Brac amazone ( A. l. hesterna ) and tryed to collected samen for AI which was however unsuccesfull ( at least in 1982 ).
    I've several questions about this note:
    Does anybody has some further information about this Research Institute and does it still exist ?
    Does anybody has some information about the number of Cayman Brac amazones kept at this Institute and if they ever bred it there ( naturaly or with AI ) ?

13. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Searching Zoochat, there's several European facilities holding the species. Far as North America, I can only find reference to them at Bronx and Audubon. San Francisco had them until recently, I don't know where they went. I don't have any information on breeding or subspecies though.

14. ThylacineAlive

The entire European population is nominate apart from perhaps a Grand Cayman, caymanensis, kept bts at Loro Parque. Currently Bronx keeps 1.1 nominate, but until a couple years ago they kept a single caymanensis.

~Thylo

vogelcommando and Great Argus like this.
  15. vogelcommando

ThylacineAlive likes this.