Join our zoo community

Culture and Conservation - UK - a failing?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by overread, 6 May 2016.

1. overread

overread Well-Known Member

So this was something someone mentioned to me which I've come to also realise is quite true; at least in my area which is not as culturally diverse as some others and thus quite "british white" for the mostpart.

But they made the observation that many non-british-white ethnic groups don't volunteer nor appear that strongly in the conservation work sector compared to other social groups. This appears to also be true through the generations as even when there are younger members they are often still in that similar bracket.

So I'm wondering why this is and if you've had experiences to counter my own and the observations of those I've met.

A few thoughts of my own:

1) Conservation in general isn't pushed much in schools and thus awareness is often quite low for its potential as a work sector. Whilst this doesn't directly target the subject it might well explain some of the reduced potential recruitment and further the lack of awareness building in those from different cultural backgrounds going through the same education system.

2) Part related to the first, but a lot of cultural groups often seem to have more of a focused work ethic and stronger family units (yes stupidly generalist statement); potentially I think this might mean that many traditional or higher paying sectors tend to attract those people whilst areas with less focus or less traditional; ergo conservation; get less of a look in.

3) Even if we look to areas like farming we also see a smaller number of different ethnic groups; heck "The Black Farmer" makes a marketing use of the fact that he is the only one of his ethnic group farming in the UK (or at least makes more noise about it).

4) A different/more urbanised view of hte world; many head to the urban centres and especially those moving from poorer nations are hungering for the urban landscape and its higher wages and wider potential job pool. The Urban area is their focus and goal so I wonder if some have run so far from the countryside that they and their descendants forget or have no desire or even a repulsion from the countryside (very understandable if the countryside to them was poverty and suffering or just very marginal living).

5) As an extension of part 4 if we look at a lot of overseas education programs it again all focusing upon the higher paying jobs in the urban landscape; followed up by refining farming methods. The wilds are often almost ignored save where they can be turned into a tourist attraction of their own.

6) Focusing on the UK again after that little diversion I also wonder if the countryside is something many feel a pride in which is in part attached to permanence; acceptance and ownership. A duty to protect or invest within it which might not be felt by those who might not feel that this is their country too (either by their own choice or by the actions of those toward them in rejecting their presence).

NOTE - I know a subject like this can turn heated very quickly and that sometimes we might use words that we feel are innocent in context; but which might have subtle alternative meanings within certain social/cultural groups. I mean no harm by what I say; but purely wish to discuss and look at his almost oddity in social behaviour; and possibly through understanding it better come to new insight.