Join our zoo community

Curraghs Wildlife Park Curraghs wildlife park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by willtheman45, 27 Oct 2010.

1. willtheman45

willtheman45 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone on here had ever visited this park on the Isle of man. I visited here in August 2003(I think) but my memories are a bit vague and I didn't have a digital camera at the time.
    The things I can remember is the wildlife park was divided into 'sections' for different continents and there were lots ofwalkthroughs before they became common. The only animals I can remember are capybaras in the walkthrough, spider monkeys on an island, two species of otter, kookaburas, beavers and lynx.
    has anyone visited here recently and if you have can you give me an impression of what the place is like now-how it's changed and what animals are now there as there websites pretty vain. I would be very interested about what it's like now or when you visited.
    I was just a little surprised to find no photos of here in the gallery.

Thanks, William

2. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

According to Zootierliste, this is the species list: ZootierlisteHomepage

The two otter species you saw, I presume, are the Canadian Otters and the Asian Short clawed Otters. Highlights of the park in my opinion would be the Tenrec, the Marsh Mongoose, the fishing cat, the Desmarests Hutia and the Crab Eating Macaque...

3. willtheman45

Thank you for this link.I remember it did have an interesting collection and appears it still does although i can't remeber any of the species you have pointed out although I was young and before I took a greater interest in animals/zoos.

There were actually three species of otter- Asian short clawed, Canadian and European otters.

4. willtheman45

Reviews on internet review sites seem to portray the collection in a negative light (although they should be taken with a pinch of salt!)

This seems to contrast with the way i remember the zoo-perhaps a more recent visitor could tell me what the place is now like?
    And does anyone have any pictures of this wildlife park?

5. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Willtheman.

I last visited about 2 years ago, however I shall be there again on either 26the or 27th March.

Having visited a fair few places in the UK, I would say that this place is pretty good to be honest considering its size, revenue and location.

It is still broken down into 'the continents' - well roughly speaking anyhow. There is also a wildlife walk which takes you through trees, grass and swampy areas on the island, with a few notice boards of what to look out for and what you are expected to see different parts of the year. It was just too wet to do the walk last time we went, but maybe better luck time.

What I find unique and great about Curraghs is that you are just a 'free range visitor' with the freedom to wander through areas of guanaco's, wallabies, pelicans, lemurs etc, the animals are curious of you and will come so close, I think that aspect of Curraghs is great. However in the UK main land it probably wouldn't work as there would be too many idiots making a fool of themselves dropping litter & feeding animals etc. Obviously the monkey species and the cats are separated from the public.
    Good place to visit and if you going to the Isle of Man, a must see on a lovely island.

6. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

For those who do not use links is the species list for Curraghs

Australian white Ibis
    Indian eagle-owl
    Madagascar teal
    Spectacled Owl
    Chilean flamingo
    Colombian black spider monkey
    Meerkat
    European beaver
    Northern lynx
    Fishing cat
    Degu
    Guanaco
    Humboldt penguin
    Crab-eating macaque (Long-tailed macaque) (Java macaque)
    Chestnut-breasted teal
    Lesser hegdehog-tenrec
    King vulture
    Desmarest's hutia (Cuban hutia)
    Long-nosed potoroo
    Long-tailed chinchilla
    Meller's duck
    Greater rhea (American rhea)
    Canadian otter
    Palawan Peacock-Pheasant
    Parma wallaby
    Rosy-billed pochard
    Tufted pochard (Tufted duck)
    Rodriguez flying fox
    Pink-backed pelican
    Red-tailed black cockatoo
    Red-fronted lemur
    Bolivian squirrel monkey
    Siberian lynx
    Magpie goose
    Straw-necked ibis
    South American Comb Duck
    Marsh mongoose
    Waldrapp (Northern bald ibis)
    Eastern pygmy marmoset
    Western sitatunga
    Nepalese red panda
    Oriental small-clawed otter

This list was taken from Zooterliste

7. willtheman45

Thanks for a very interesting reply pootle. I haven't been for many years but I do remember in a positive light-particuarly the large amount of walk through enclosures. I would be grateful if you could do a report/take pictures of this wildlife park and upload them in the gallery if that's possible.

8. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I agree that would be great and if possible a map or picture of a map as the one on their website is rather small which makes it difficult to see how the park is laid out.

9. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I will put something together about Curragh's and certainly try to find a better map than that on the website (I agree it is really too small). I shall also take a few shots of the park, enclosures and animals themselves and upload.

Here's to a blue sky and a bit of sun !

10. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Visit Sunday 27th March

1. The sun was out and the park not too busy
    2. I left my camera in the hotel D'oh, I was convinced it was in the boot, sorry folks.
    3. The park is looking good.

Once I was resigned to do a tour without my camera I paid the entrance fee (£8 pounds each for adults an a fiver for OAP's & Children)

The first exhibit on entering is the Penguins and they have a tidy enclosure, good pool and plenty of homes to nest/sleep in. Around the edge inside the enclosure are lined up pictures of all the different penguin species, good for education purposes. The best photo missed was here, as one of the penguins had correctly identified himself against the pictures and was stood in front of a picture of a Humboldt penguin, clever little guy. Curragh's is still sectioned into areas of the world and there is no right or wrong way to take your trip around, just make sure you don’t miss anything. so we went into the 'Pampas' next, as previously mentioned you are able to walk through the exhibits and the old guanaco comes walking over to look at you then he decides he is close enough and stops and the same with the rhea. I really enjoy this type of zoo when you can walk amongst the animals.
    From previous visits about 3 years ago nothing much has changed, it is still a tidy place with in my opinion good exhibits given the space and finances. The displays are clear, the information notes and boards tell you enough and the staff approachable with regards my questions.

I was personally please to see the King Vultures, the Fishing Cat, Potoroo's, Red Panda and Tapirs. I am not one for particular favourites at any zoo or park (bar Rhino's of course :))

One walkthrough which has changed slightly is the walkthrough Lemur section, the Ring tailed and Madagascans have been separated now and the public cannot have as much exposure to them direct. This is due to one or two of the public getting bitten by them over recent years I was informed by a keeper - more like the public feeding them banana and the lemurs in turn getting over excited in my opinion...

Also worth a mention and thumbs up for Curraghs is the cafe. Good quality home cooked food available and at decent prices - take note UK mainland Zoo cafe's!!

All in all it is a zoo with a bit of a difference and one that I recommend to anyone visiting the island as a must see.

11. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the report

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

0.0.1 Fishing Cat born

13. Nisha

0.1 Crested Porcupine arrived from Chester last week

14. Nisha

15. Nisha

16. Nisha

17. Nisha

18. Nisha

New to the collection for 2016 will be a pair of Moloch Gibbons. Building work on there house and enclosure has recently begun. If work is completed on time (and paperwork permitting) then they should be in place by July next year

19. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Sad news, the old Guanaco has died. Even fewer in the UK now.

If you have been to Curraghs you will know who I mean with his uniqueness.

20. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yep! :) saw him in the summer. Just realised the gallery doesn't have many pics, I'll find a few and add them.