Join our zoo community

Current Mammals In New Zealand Zoos

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 27 Apr 2010.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some European collections have successfully mixed Saki with Squirrel Monkey. So another potential option (given that Squrriel Monkey are already established and doing well in Australia/New Zealand)

The Debrazza are a bit of an odd choice though? Surely if they wanted a medium sized West African primate, then they'd be better off teaming up with Adelaide to increase the number of Mandrill and/or Colobus within the region rather than importing a third species? Both Mandrill and Colobus are available from Europe or the USA (in good numbers, Mandrill breeding is very limited in EAZA at the moment due to a lack of space) if desired.

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’d make a lot more sense. I expect the general public will be as underwhelmed as we are to discover Auckland Zoo are replacing their elephant exhibit with a rhino exhibit (a species that’s been at the zoo since 1980); and renovating the old rhino exhibit into a rainforest glade for Mandrill would be far more crowd pleasing than extending the giraffe and zebra habitat. It’s called the African precinct - not the Savannah precinct, so I’m sure nobody would complain at having more than one biome represented.

3. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Auckland Zoo no longer hold Pygmy Marmoset as their last individual died in 2020. They have no plans to reacquire marmosets. Their email response (after a few months waiting for a reply):

"We no longer have this primate species at Auckland Zoo, as our sole remaining pygmy marmoset passed away in 2020. There are no current plans to have pygmy marmoset again in the future."

Last edited: 9 Nov 2021
    Chlidonias likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Well that explains why I missed them there at the start of the year. I knew where they were supposed to be (mixed with another callitrichid species) but didn't realise until after the visit that I hadn't seen either them or a sign for them. I just assumed I had overlooked them.

5. WhistlingKite24

The two male lions from Copenhagen Zoo arrived safely this morning at Wellington Zoo. From their social media:

"Lions are officially back at Wellington Zoo! The two brothers arrived in the early hours of the morning and are now completing their mandatory quarantine period. Our amazing Carnivore team and vets have been monitoring the situation and are pleased with their progress so far. Whilst both Lions complete their quarantine period, visitors will be unable to see our new arrivals. But make sure to keep an eye on this page for more updates!"

Chlidonias likes this.
  6. WhistlingKite24

Willowbank have received two female Black-and-white Ruffed Lemurs from Hamilton recently: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Patrick Keegan, Matt_C and Chlidonias like this.
  7. Zoofan15

Auckland Zoo intend to phase out their pinnipeds upon the death of their elderly Subantarctic fur seal. He is currently the only pinniped held in captivity in New Zealand.

This follows on from the death of the last captive California sea lion in New Zealand (2016) and the last captive New Zealand fur seal in New Zealand (2020).

Zorro likes this.
  8. Zoofan15

9. Zoofan15

Bornean orangutan birth:

Considering there was previously only two in the entire region, I thought it was worth noting the birth of a Bornean orangutan at Auckland Zoo on March 20 to Charlie and Melur - the first birth of its species in New Zealand (and the region) since 2005:

Auckland Zoo celebrates birth of baby orangutan | Auckland Zoo News

10. WhistlingKite24

Wellington Zoo have announced the arrival of a pair of Swamp Wallabies:

If you’ve been through our Australia precinct recently, you may have noticed a few new furry additions to our Wellington Zoo whanau. We would like to introduce Djarlo and Wimbi, two Swamp Wallabies who are now out exploring their new habitat. As with our existing Wallabies, Djarlo and Wimbi are slightly more reclusive than their larger Kangaroo relatives, so make sure to keep your eyes peeled on your next trip to Wellington Zoo!”

Chlidonias and Patrick Keegan like this.
  11. WhistlingKite24

No more Caracals in New Zealand unfortunately. The other female Tinka has been euthanised on welfare grounds - reported on their FB page.

Chlidonias and Patrick Keegan like this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

A few updates supported by email confirmations:
    • the Swamp Wallabies at Wellington were imported from Australia specifically from Taronga Zoo. The zoo also confirmed that they still have Parma and Tammar Wallaby as well.
    • Orana’s waterbuck herd is now at nine individuals and the male imported from Werribee Open Range Zoo has now bred successfully producing 1.1 calves to date so far. Orana still have the six Springbok with five individuals currently on-show and one behind the scenes.

13. Zoofan15

Auckland Zoo no longer have a male Common waterbuck and hold a population of three females (transferred from Hamilton Zoo as noted above). I will make enquiries as to his whereabouts, but assume he was transferred to Orana Wildlife Park due to integration issues at Auckland Zoo.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  14. Zoofan15

Auckland Zoo now holds Sumatran tiger:

Auckland Zoo once again holds Sumatran tiger, following the arrival of Sali from Hamilton Zoo. Reported on socials this afternoon.

Auckland Zoo previously held Sumatran tiger from 1998-2006; and 2006-2019.

Chlidonias, Matt_C and Patrick Keegan like this.
  15. Michael Stace

Michael Stace Member

*Bonnet Macaque (Macaca radiata) – two at Pouakai

Formerly common in New Zealand zoos, with the stock dating back to at least the 1950s. Now just two old males left at Pouakai. The group of elderly animals which had been kept off-display at Auckland Zoo for years appear to now be gone.

*Southern Pig-tailed Macaque (Macaca nemestrina) – one at Pouakai; one at HUHA (private sanctuary)

Formerly common in New Zealand zoos, with the stock dating back to at least the 1950s. Now just two elderly animals left.

I visited Pouakai Zoo in December 2017 and I couldn't find the Bonnet or Pig-Tailed Macaques so I asked a keeper about them and I was told they all died.

Chlidonias, Matt_C and Patrick Keegan like this.
  16. Zoofan15

Serval confirmation:

I can confirm your assumption was correct and that Wellington Zoo’s Serval are the 1.1 siblings (Tunde and Shanti). They were born at Wellington Zoo 09/09/2006. Their parents are now deceased.

Source: Zoo’s social media (13/05/22)

17. Zoofan15

Butterfly Creek now hold Slender-tailed meerkat:

Butterfly Creek have received 3.0 Slender-tailed meerkat (a new species for them). They are the eighth holder of meerkats in New Zealand.

From socials:

Our newest residents have arrived everyone and they are beyond eager to meet you all. Say hello to our 3 meerkats, Hasani, Mbali and Kato

Patrick Keegan, Chlidonias and Zorro like this.
  18. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hasani (2013), Mbali (2014) and Kato (2014) came from Auckland. This transfer possibly means Auckland may be planning to breed their Meekats soon.

19. Zoofan15

I just looked these up in my Auckland Zoo notes and Kato is actually a female. Kato and Mbali are siblings born 17/01/2014 and lived in the largest group with Hasani (born August 2013).

In 2020, the zoo had 5.5 meerkats born between 2009 and 2014. Their population as of six weeks ago was 4.2, so this transfer leaves them with 2.1 meerkats. I’d assume these are elderly remnants of the last group and will occupy the smaller exhibit; with a new group coming soon to the larger exhibit.

Patrick Keegan, Jambo and Abbey like this.
  20. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A new group from over in Australia possibly. Taronga and Dubbo have a lot of them. Melbourne might be a possibility (they have around fifteen) but considering they haven't breed in over a decade, their individuals would be elderly now.

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.