Join our zoo community

Current Mammals In New Zealand Zoos

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 27 Apr 2010.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

jbnbsn99 has edited the original post for me to incorporate all the changes since the last edit (in 2011)
    :)

2. ZooGirl101

ZooGirl101 Well-Known Member

The new homes of Franklin Zoo's animals.

All of Franklin Zoo's animals have been rehomed. Some of them need to stay at the zoo for the time being while new enclosures are being built.

* The zebras (Zelda and Maria) are now at Orana Wildlife Park in Christchurch.
    * All the monkeys (capuchins, cotton-tops, spider monkey, pigtail macaque and ring-tailed lemurs) are going/or have gone to Mogo Zoo in NSW Australia.
    * The bobcats are back at Hamilton.
    * The African Clawed Frogs are back at Auckland.
    * Tommy and otter and Ruby the lion have passed away :(
    * The keas are going to Butterfly Creek once their new aviary is complete.
    * Bingara the brolga crane has moved back to Hamilton.
    * All ducks and chickens, and most of the domestic animals, are with private owners.
    * The emus, as well as the sun conures, have moved to Altura Park in Te Kuiti.
    * The lorikeets and other birds will be moving to an aviary at Unitec in Auckland.

And as for Mila the elephant, she is still at Franklin Zoo but a new elephant project manager has arrived and it has been confirmed that she will be moving to an elephant sanctuary in California in March or April 2013.

any questions, feel free to ask because I am in contact with Jenny from the zoo quite regularly and know where the animals are going.

3. ZooGirl101

SOrry some of that info is a bit incorrect.

* Barda is now living at Orana Wildlife Park in Christchurch with a female called Cara and they will be moving to Mogo Zoo in February.
    * Carol the macaque actually hasn't found a home yet.
    * The cotton-top tamirins will be moving to butterfly creek sometime this year.

4. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I hope someone steps up to look after Carol, just because she is not a ZAA species doesn't mean she should be abandoned. I suspect she may be difficult to send to Australia, but would have thought a place like Altura may have taken her (don't know if they have the required permits or facilities though).

Butterfly Creek should be happy to get Tamarins, they would certainly complement their collection, and be a great drawcard.

5. Bruce Mountain

Bruce Mountain New Member

6. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

Hi Bruce Jungle lives with 2 other capuchins named Sophie and some one else who i have forgotten his name and all of them have gone to Mogo zoo

7. Chlidonias

Kitenui Lodge no longer have blackbuck

8. zooboy28

And I think there is a good chance that Orana no longer have their last Addra Gazelle, it is no longer listed on the census. :(

The number and location of antelope (not so much the cattle and goats) does not paint a very stable or promising future for many of these species in New Zealand zoos.

Going:
    -Sitatunga: 1.3 at Hamilton, not likely to be bred again, will disappear in the next 10-15 years.

Uncertain Future:
    -Springbok: 1.3 at Auckland, not being bred, 6.8 at Orana seem stable, hopefully can persist for a fair while.
    -Blackbuck: 5.11 at Hamilton, large herd, breeding well and stable, but obviously having all animals in one location poses risks regardless of numbers. I'm not sure how likely it is that Hamilton Zoo will keep this species indefinitely, success with Nyala might well see the Blackbuck replaced.
    -Sable Antelope: 1.2 at Orana, hopefully these can be bred, but importation urgently needed, fingers crossed for planned import this year from North America.
    -Scimitar-horned Oryx: 4.1 at Orana, obviously in major danger of imminent extinction in NZ, importation urgently needed, fingers crossed for planned import this year from North America.
    -Waterbuck: 0.3 at Hamilton, 3.4 at Orana, meaning a male for Hamilton would be great, but this may require importation if Orana's males are related, which seems highly likely given Hamilton's animals originated there.
    -Nyala: 2.3 at Wellington (the only ones in Australasia), but seem to be doing well given they have only recently been imported. Despite the large number of other antelope species present in the region, especially the larger ones (kudu, eland, oryx, etc), almost all of which desperately need new blood and more spaces, Nyala are the highest priority antelope species in the region, with 113 spaces dedicated across the region, including 21 more in New Zealand. It is very frustrating that other species cannot get support of even 25 spaces (minimum viable population size) across the region, but this species has all these spaces saved with little chance of very many being filled in the forseeable future.

Overall, within ten years it seems likely that the four big zoos will all hold Nyala, as imports see this species establish well here, with Hamilton Zoo also holding Waterbuck (and maybe Blackbuck), and Orana preserving Springbok, Oryx, Sable and Waterbuck.

9. Chlidonias

that doesn't surprise me, it was pretty old

10. ZooGirl101

Hey again. Another update on Franklin Zoo's animals.
    * Carol the pigtail macaque has actually not found a home yet.
    * Barda the spider monkey will be moving to Mogo Zoo, NSW however he is currently living at Orana Wildlife Park.
    * And to answer your question, Bruce Mountain, from what I have heard ALL the capuchins have gone to Mogon Zoo as well.
    * The keas however, are no longer going to Butterfly Creek. They recently found a new home at Staglands Wildlife Reserve in Upper Hutt.

All of the animals (apart from Carol and Mila) have no been rehomed and most of them are already gone.

11. Chlidonias

12. Chlidonias

it seems the other old serval at Zion has died since that post (although I'm not sure when). So holders now are Auckland, Hamilton and Wellington.

13. Chlidonias

those three capuchins (Sophie, Jungle and Bernard) and Carol the pig-tailed macaque have gone to a private animal shelter called HUHA which is situated near Wellington. See here HUHA comes to the rescue and also on the following Franklin Zoo thread (http://www.zoochat.com/17/closure-animal-transfers-298445/index2.html).

HUHA was also mentioned in the current thread because they already had a capuchin monkey.

14. Chlidonias

no more emperor tamarins in NZ, the last male was sent off to Mogo Zoo.

Wellington's fruit bats were all put to sleep last year due to old age issues, so now Auckland is the only NZ zoo with fruit bats (of any species).

15. zooboy28

Sad. Have they been bred in New Zealand? I don't know how difficult that would be, but imagine it happened in the past. Not recently though obviously.

16. Chlidonias

there have been loads bred in NZ. Fruit bats tend to be fairly readily bred in captivity. The ones that went to the UK (to the RSCC from memory) were all bred at Wellington Zoo. It is a shame they are all gone now - the zoo had them at least as far back as the 1980s.

17. Chlidonias

18. Chlidonias

19. Chlidonias

I have just updated the list in the initial post to include the changes since the last update.

Notes:
    *I have left the African elephant in for now, even though she is due to be exported sometime in the near (?) future.
    *I have taken out all the Marineland pinnipeds because they are due to be (or have already been?) exported to Australia.
    *I have left in Orana Park's addra gazelle because I'm not sure if it has died or just not been recorded on their last census; I have also left in Auckland's hybrid orangutan and Wellington's belzebuth spider monkeys because I don't know what the deal is with them (if they are stil there or not).
    *I have added HUHA for the capuchins and pig-tailed macaque.

20. zooboy28

Thanks for the update, although most of the changes are deletions, which is rather sad. Hopefully some more additions soon (in addition to next months arrivals!).

The only thing I note is that, along with Orana's Addra, Auckland Zoo's lone Red Kangaroo hasn't been spotted for a while, and they are also down to one Parma Wallaby, which is a phase out species too.